Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezes with strange nuance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mbuchove

mbuchove

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Alright so I realize this is a common problem that people have with random freezes, and I've looked at many many forums, but I have a few strange circumstances that I believe are noteworthy. Before I start, I will describe my system, which is a relatively new build:

ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Memory
MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V Power Supply
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner

2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
-these two drives are mirrored using RAID 0 and run Windows 7 64 Upgrade Edition

1 x Corsair Nova CSSD-V32GB2-BRKT 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
-this drive runs Ubuntu 10.10

So the problem I'm having is the common random freezing - at random intervals the computer will completely freeze instantly and will have no response afterwards. The only thing I can do is turn it off using the power switch. The strange thing is that while it happens whether I'm using Linux or Windows, the amount of time it takes in either OS is very different. If I run Ubuntu, I typically have no more than 10 or 15 minutes, maybe a half hour at maximum before it will freeze. When I run Windows, it typically takes at least an hour, and will sometimes last 5 hours or longer without freezing, even if I'm running much more demanding programs like Starcraft 2. This trend has been consistent over a few weeks, so I don't think it's by random chance. I'm also pretty sure it's not software related, as I performed a complete clean install of Linux after the problem had been going on and afterwards it persisted.

I should also go over the history of the problems I've had with this build, as I'm sure it could be related. When I first assembled the computer, I did a few things wrong. I installed the power supply incorrectly causing it to overheat and die. After replacing that, I was getting random shutdowns, which I managed to figure out was the CPU overheating due to excessive thermal paste being applied. I replaced the CPU and no longer had the random shutdowns, but the random freezes began. Before replacing the CPU I had tested the memory using a memory diagnostic program and it passed, and since the problem I have reinstalled Linux to see if it was a software problem. I just can't seem to figure this one out, and I don't want to replace any major parts if they are not the issue. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

If it is happening in either OS, I'd say this sounds definitely like some sort of hardware issue.

First, lets do s quick check of the capacitors and power supply. You can test by opening the case up and using a flashlight to check the capacitors on the motherboard. They look like this: http://www.thenakedpc.com/dan/Bulging_Capacitors/close-up.jpg

Good capacitors have a flat top. Bad ones will be curved or leaking on top. A slight curve still means it is bad. Make sure they're all nice and flat before you move on.

If have a power supply tester, or can borrow one, test the power supply to just make sure the voltages are correct and steady.

Second, I'd suggest re-testing the memory using Memtest 86+ (http://www.memtest86.com/). Also try the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp) -- sometimes memory will fail one, but not the other. Run them each for 2 hours, just to be sure.

Once you're finished with these checks/tests, post any results you find so we can narrow things down.

Edited by Suicide King, 24 March 2011 - 10:25 PM.

#3 mbuchove

mbuchove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

Okay so I know it's been a while but I finally got a chance to test some things out. I ran the memtest86+ for about 6 hours for a total of 4 passes with 0 errors, and also alternated switching out each of the two 4gb memory sticks I've been using, so I feel like that eliminates the memory. My power supply was replaced recently and I checked all the voltages in BIOS and they were well within the correct range. I also ran some simple disk checks on the hard disks that came up clean.

The motherboard I'm not sure about. Upon inspection, none of the capacitors were apparently leaking or bulging. I read that even slightly curved capacitors are bad, and I did notice that a few of them felt less flat than the others. So I'm thinking it very well could be the motherboard, and I'm checking to see if I can get a replacement as it is only a few months old. If not I'll just buy one if it will fix my problem.

Quick question though, will replacing my motherboard (with the same model) affect my RAID array? Is there a way to just configure the new motherboard and save all the data or do I have to start over?

Thank you for all your help

#4 mbuchove

mbuchove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

Alright so it seems like I figured this one out. It seems my RAID controller was the issue, as a quick reboot of the RAID controller would fix my issue when it was happening. It also explains why Ubuntu would only freeze when I mounted the RAID drives. I am now swapping out the motherboard for an identical one and trying to reconfigure my RAID drives, but am running into a few problems discussed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic398767.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users