Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How-To Quiet Noisy Case/PSU Fans

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

Do your case and/or PSU fans suddenly become noisy when you turn on your PC, then eventually quiet down, in most cases, the fan is not going bad, just a little TLC is needed.

This tip is not intended for newer PC's, possible warranty void. You shouldn't have a fan issue anyway.

This quick guide will show you how to quiet down those noisy fans.

Tools needed;
1. Phillips head screwdriver
2. Exacto or Utility knife
3. One small bottle of;
Posted Image
Yes, it's gun oil and it works great with no harm to the fan and it only costs a couple bucks.
WD40 is not recommended.

1. Remove the noisy little bugger from the case and clean off any dirt/dust.
Posted Image

2. Place the fan on your work space with the label side up;
Posted Image

3. With the exacto or utility knife, carefully peel back the label, (don't have to remove it completely) til the center is exposed.
Posted Image

4. Carefully place 1 (one) tiny drop of the RemOil where indicated by the arrow.
5. Replace the label, place it back in the PC and your done.

The PSU fans, a little more involved, but the same process as above.
The PSU has 2 parts, 1st part is the base, where all the components/board are attached, the 2nd part are the sides and top (1 piece).
1. Remove the PSU from the PC case.
2. Remove the 4 small Phillips head screws and carefully slide the case up to expose the inside to access the fan
3. If it only has 1 fan, then it's most likely hard wired to the board, (2 fans, one can be unplugged) so remove the 2 or 4 screws holding it in place and proceed with the above steps.
4. Put it all back together and fire up your machine.

Your fans should now be completely quiet, maybe even quieter than before.

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:25 AM

Interesting. In the past, I typically just throw noisy fans out and replace, theyre pretty cheap, but I can see saving yourself some money doing it this way if you already have gun oil laying around (which, seeing my array of weaponry, I should)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

I tried this today & it appears to work.
Got the gun oil at a hunting supply store just around the croner from me.
They happen to be a customer of mine.

Seems to work
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:38 PM

Well, my 120 mm exhaust fan is indeed starting to rattle a little bit, have been contemplating replacing it, but perhaps I will give this a try. As it turns out I do have a little gun oil (not remington brand but it should work) left, and I need to get more anyway.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 simon b

simon b

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

hi - I'm in the UK and you can't find gun oil (or guns!) in shops - what else could you use??

thanks
Simon

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

I will try to remember tomorrow to ask the folks at the gun store around the corner what could be substituted for you. Not sure if 3 in 1 oil would work or what the difference is between the two.

What I did after I oiled the fan I was working on was to let it sit label side up for half an hour to let it soak in then dabbed off any excess with a paper towel.
Seemed to fix the loud fan issue in my case.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

hi - I'm in the UK and you can't find gun oil (or guns!) in shops - what else could you use??

thanks
Simon

I`m thinking sewing machine oil may do the trick as well.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

The gun shop said to see if you can find some fishing reel oil.
She didnt really know what the difference was between gun oil & fishing reel oil but her bottle of gun oil says it can be used on fishing reels so it has to be pretty similar.

#9 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hi guys;

Fishing reel oil or even sewing machine oil will work as they are heavy oils.
3in1 oil has citronella in it, which may be good if you want to keep the bugs away :hysterical:, but it's not as heavy as the others, most likely due to the corrosion inhibitor.
It's also owned by the WD-40 company.

Regards,
Don

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

A heavy(er) oil is definitely what you would want to use.

While the fan application is`t really a high-stress application, it is a high(er) speed application Many fans turn at over 2500 RPM. Some faster, some slower.
A lite oil tends to dry out, or to much oil will fly off. The later would not be a pretty thing inside a PC case.
I can see where all three of the oil types mentioned by Adamsappleone would work for the application as they are probably somewhat heat tolerant as well.
I have to imagine some heat is built up by the friction between the fan shaft and whatever type of bearing or sleeve is being used.

Nice tip Adamsappleone. :thumbup2:

Will have to dig out my cleaning kit and give it a try.

Edited by ThunderZ, 16 April 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#11 Ktulu

Ktulu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

I use oil from my electric shaver that was included with the pack. It works quite well.

#12 lti

lti

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

Will this repair a sleeve bearing fan that has already seized up? I don't want to buy a new fan yet, but I will in the future.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

Unlikely, but since its already seized up I don't see how it would hurt to try.

picard5.jpg

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

When you say seized up, do you mean you can not even make it spin with your finger?
Or do you mean it just does not turn when power is applied.

It is possible that the motor is shot in which case you can give it an oil bath and it would make no difference.

#15 lti

lti

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

The fan does not spin when the computer is running unless I manually push the blades, and then it turns very slowly. If power is not applied, the fan seems to be more difficult to spin by hand than other fans and stops spinning immediately after I let go.

I was thinking that I would have to completely disassemble the fan, clean the shaft and bearing, and reassemble with fresh oil. I have done that with cheap house fans as a temporary fix. I just don't see how the oil will soak down in between the shaft and bearing if a drop is placed on top of the bearing as this tip shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users