Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to prevent ants from nesting in the Harddisk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alumar

Alumar

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

Three days after I got my computer, when I booted it, I was suprised that it didn't I just heard hissing which I identified that came from the Harddisk, since I am still under warranty I took it to the shop and the tech guys opened it, I was suprised that there were ants in it, luckily since I am still under warranty, they replaced it with a new one, I just placed the CPU above a box 4 inch from the floor.

Right now I have placed the CPU near my Monitor which is a bit tight for a small for the new computer table I bought. There is a Compartment for the CPU but I am afrad that the ants will Nest there again.

Need advice on how to prevent it from happening again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

I have to admit your situation is most unusual.

I am not sure what the hissing was, perhaps the ants were angry by the sound of the hard drive.

I am not sure if the ants were actually able to gain access inside the drive, they are usually sealed, but a few have a small vent hole, so perhaps this is where they entered.

I am not sure what attracts the ants to your computer and why they have chosen to make a home there.

you could place ant traps inside the tower which are made of sticky paper, place them on the bottom area.

You could also place a few around the outside where the tower is sitting.

I do not know of any chemicals that would actually repel ants, perhaps someone else can come up with another solution.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 March 2011 - 06:07 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

Tis an odd one. Ants cant actually get inside a hard drive (at least a modern one) as there are filters there to keep dust off the internals. That being said............. we had ant problems with old storage units on a DEC10 in college. Ants got everywhere and it led to some serious/expensive problems, heads rolled. Munchies (and weed unofficially) were banned in the wing with the storage systems.

Ants love electricity, especially AC current. This time of year in TX a common problem is home AC compressors won't come on due to ants clogging the gap in compressor relays. Ants will build nests in electrical switch and breaker panels to.

Edited by dpunisher, 24 March 2011 - 06:49 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Alumar

Alumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

My HDD is a 500GB Western Digital..the hissing was due to the debris from which ants may chewed on..the hard disk was not detected after the attack..when I brought the whole unit to the computer shop and the hard disk was taken out there were actually ants coming out of the HDD..the tech guy said that he had encountered the same issue and said that the HDDs smell attracted them.Good thing I was not able to install a lot of files there.I'ved search the net and found out that it's not a rare situation, there are some who have their MACS invaded with ants also.

Edit:
I have checked the HDD and there are actually small airvents that the ants used as entrance.

Edited by Alumar, 24 March 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

I was gonna pass this thread by.......but I can't bring myself to do it. Ants, like mice, can get into just about anything.
Are you using this unit in the garage, shed, on the back deck. If in the house, you have a bigger issue than your computer,
unless the ants came with it.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

I'd try to find out where the ants are getting into your home, and prevent it that way.

You might also consider something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Climbup-Insect-Interceptor-Bed-Trap/dp/B0033SC0LI

Perhaps you could make some sort of small, 4 legged stand to put your computer on top of. The ants will have to go through the cups at the bottom of each stand, so you can fill them with something the ants hate to keep them away -- try not to use anything another insect might like, otherwise you'll attract some other insect type! In this case, of the amazon link, a small amount of talcum powder makes it too slippery for insects to climb out of it ... but you could use whatever works I'd guess.

Here is a link to some other possible substances you can fill the cups (for the stand legs) with: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071231142446AAQdo8h

#7 Alumar

Alumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

Right now my CPU is sitting right next to my monitor and it's actually the third month since I got it. I'm fine with it, but it would be much better to put the CPU in the CPU compartment in the Computer table on the bottom part, thanks for your suggestion guys.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

This is indeed one of the most unusual posts I have seen here in a LONG time!

Personally, I would try to tackle your ant problem.
Are you seeing them anywhere else like in your kitchen?

See if you can get some Combat Home Defense and spray your living environment.
That stuff will kill any bug that moves.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:37 AM

First try to eliminate the ants getting into your house. I have ant problems every spring. I found a product, Terro, it works great. I get mine at Walmart or the home repair warehouse place. Here I find it at Menards. Maybe Home Depot has it too.
You can use it in the home, there is a liquid you put drops down, the ants eat it and take it back to the nest and it kills the queen. There is also stuff for outside the home. I use both. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users