Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help With Bios/harddrive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 krazychode

krazychode

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:44 PM

I have a problem, i got another computer yesterday, fully assembled, i booted it up it starts fine... I took out my dvd r and my old hd and put in the new one, sometimes it will read both roms and both hd sometimes not, ever since i put the new hardware in, it wont boot to windows, it asks if i want safe mode, normally, or configure last correct settings or something like that... So then i tried booting it up with my old hd that still works and has xp on it.... same thing when it actually proceeds to boot up windows, it goes to a blue screen with some writing on it for about a half second (too fast to read what it is, pretty sure its NOT scandisk) then it reboots. So then i put both hd's in my old computer it starts windows fine.... Only thing else i did was move some pics and a few programs to the new hd. I didnt change anything in bios, i even tried to go back to default. I can start in command or safe mode or regular, it just reboots after it shows the blue screen. Tried with both hds on the new computer... All the help is appreciated...
Running virus scan, etc. on new hd but i doubt the hd is the problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

:thumbsup: to BC krazychode,

I think we need some background and some info here. What are you trying to end up with?
If the new PC boots it has an operating system on it. What is it? Why do you want to move the hard drive from your old PC to the new one? With just the original hard drive in the new PC does it still boot?

When you moved the hard drives around are you changing jumper settings?

What are the makes and models of the two hard drives involved and can you work out how to set them to Master/Slave or Cablee Select if required?

Are all the devices (DVD or CDROM drives and Hard drives) IDE devices? (They all use the same kind of flat grey 40 or 80 wire ribbon cable to connect?)

:flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 26 December 2005 - 08:27 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users