Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing HDD space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

I have a 250 GB Western Digital laptop hard drive. I tried using Acronis to image an old OS to the new drive to save time. The problem now is that the 250 GB drive only shows 50 GB total space. The hard drive has only one partition, and in disk management the drives total capacity is 50 GB. Any ideas on how this could have happened and/or how I can restore the original 250 GB of space on the drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Does Disk Management reflect 233GB total space for the drive...not the partition?

Sounds to me as if you should have unallocated space of over 180GB in Disk Management.

Louis

#3 Dmacf10

Dmacf10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

There is no unallocated space. The hard drive shows in disk management at 53 GB total. I have no idea how that could happen.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

Well...I'd run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...to see what registers there and to check out the drive.

Louis

#5 anneparker

anneparker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Run the fragmentation from the device manager then it will give you some space in your computer.

#6 Dmacf10

Dmacf10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

The drive passes both the quick and extended test in WD Diagnostics. The drive appears to be working just fine, only that the ammount of disk space is off. Maybe its something I need to send to WD for warranty work.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

What drive capacity is reflected for the drive...on the diagnostic?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users