Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Transferring

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cm5016

Cm5016

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had an easy, and relatively free, way to transfer files from my Vista computer to a HD, then back to my computer upgraded to windows 7. I recently had a virus, and I am pretty sure that its clear, but I want to wipe the computer to guarentee that its virus free [ and to possibly speed it up].

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Depends how much data you need to transfer. If it's only a relatively small amount you can transfer them to DVD then transfer them to your PC from DVD.
If it's a large amount you should buy an external USB hard drive & transfer your files to that. Disconnect the external drive, install Windows 7 then plug the external drive back in.

In any case, you should always have a backup of your files saved to a different drive even if you aren't installing a new OS.
Having your files on just one drive is just asking for trouble since any number of things could happen which would destroy them such as malware or total drive failure (all hard drives fail sooner or later). Always keep your files backed up to a different drive or to DVD discs.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

Be careful that none of the files you copy are infected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users