Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 4 Install Instructions For Ubuntu 10.4 and 10.10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

Installed Firefox 4 this morning. Used the instructions below. Worked perfectly. (took 4 minutes to download FF4, though)
I closed FF and other programs during downloading. After downloading and installing, ran FF4 and all was well. Restarted
Ubuntu, too. Though not necessary. FF4 is a few seconds slower to load than 3.6 was.
How To Install Firefox 4 (Stable) In Ubuntu [10.04 and 10.10]

1. If you are using the development version of Firefox from our earlier post, remove it with the command,

sudo apt-get remove firefox-4.0

If you are not using the development version, skip this step.

2. Now add the Firefox stable PPA.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable

3. Now update the software list

sudo apt-get update

4. Finally install Firefox 4 with the command.

sudo apt-get install firefox

After installation, you will find Firefox under Applications > Internet > Firefox Web Browser.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,881 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

You like blue? Check this site out. Firefox 4 Download Stats

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for this post. I had installed Firefox 4 manually in /opt/ but was wondering how to get Linux to update the baked-in version to 4.0

Thanks! :thumbsup:

You like blue? Check this site out. Firefox 4 Download Stats

Yes, I do like blue. :) I saw that not long after 4.0 went public. Pretty cool.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 27 March 2011 - 10:07 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,881 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

You're welcome. Interesting that the blue site even breaks down the downloads to towns. My little home town has to date 388 downloads.

I read recently that Firefox had almost 3 times the first day downloads as IE9. Probably the main reason for that is XP users can't get it.
XP according to reports still account for more than 60% of Windows users.

IE9 is getting rave reviews on some techie sites.

Edited by buddy215, 27 March 2011 - 02:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users