Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SBS2008 best network architecture

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chodhead

chodhead

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:09 AM

Hi,

This is my first post in anger so apologies if I miss any etiquette!

I currently have a Dell Poweredge SC1425 with 2 x 3.0GHz, 64Bit Xeons and 6GB RAM (nothing too fancy but plenty for the job).

It is running SBS2008 and hosting a Windows Domain, some Sage Accounting Applications and about 20GB of documents. We have 5 desktops who access these items.

We want to start using MS Exchange and Sharepoint on the same network and I have a bit of money to spend on some hardware.

I want to create a High Availability solution which can failover within an hour or two with no more than half a day's data loss in the event of an incident. I also want to make sure that the box isn't overwhelmed with what I am asking it to do now that we are adding email hosting, calendars, sharepoint etc.

I have bought two more SC1425 servers; one with exactly the same configuration as the above and one exactly half (1 x CPU and 3GB RAM). Currently the best I can come up with is to restore from a full backup onto the 100% scaled machine which will meet the above requirements in terms of HA, but I don't know if I could be doing something a bit smarter with the two spare boxes to use the processing capacity better.

I am restricted by SBS2008 Standard licenses as I only have one and from what I understand, you can't activate it on more than one computer at once but I have plenty of XP licenses (and Linux is always an option). I was thinking I could possibly spread the requirements across the two big boxes but leave each set up so that it could manage everything if needed, but my single SBS license will prevent this and I'm still not using the 50% scaled server.

I hope this isn't too vague a question but, what would you do in this situation??

Thanks in advance,

Chodhead

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

Unfortunately since you are using SBS standard you are limited to having one only one server( your SBS server) in the domain. Also all of the FMSO roles have to remain on the server which means exchange, sharepoint, and all of the other server roles have to stay on the SBS server. The only real option for quick recovery is to use the optimum drive configurations and good backups. You should have a mirror set that contains nothing but the OS and possibly the swap file. They should be put into seperate partitions to reduce file fragmentation. All data should be on at a minimum a RAID 5 array with plenty of space. Better would be a RAID 50 array for the data.

As far as the other servers the identical one is good for parts or a quick replacement. You could use the smaller one and run XP for a file server but I don't see where you need it right now.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

I have been made aware that I have been in error about the SBS server setup. The Microsoft material states that "only one server running Windows Small Business Server is allowed on the network". To me, and apparently thousands of others, this was taken to mean only one server is allowed on the network. However that is not the case as it is only one SBS server that is allowed. You can have multiple servers, either member or DC, attached to your SBS network. The cavet that the FMSO roles and SBS software must remain on the SBS server remains but you can add additional DC's for network redunancy. Additonal servers get added to the domain via the standard DCPROMO process.

Sorry for any confusion or inconvieniance this may have caused.
Here is an article from Microsoft detailing as such: Debunking Myths About Additional Domain Controllers In SBS Domains
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users