Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the difference between LED-Backlit Display and LED-Display?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

I have been getting sick and confused of this. I have been wanting to buy a new computer but with an LED-Screen. Since I started looking for them, I've been confused. I see the Macbook Pro specs and it says "LED-backlit" and then I look at the specs for another laptop, the HP Envy, for example, and it says "LED-Display". Now at least for confusion's sake, can you humble guys at BleepingComputer please tell me - What is the difference between an LED-backlit display and an LED-Display?

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 24 March 2011 - 06:14 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 15,003 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:45 AM

In the case of the HP Envy, there isn't a difference, the description of the LED backlit display just isn't emphasized very clearly. For example in this news release for the Envy:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2009/090915xc.html

you have to do quite a lot of reading to discover where it says of the 15":

"A choice of two 15.6-inch HP Brightview high-resolution LED backlit displays"

and even though the smaller Radiance display doesn't have its technology defined there, it is also LED backlit TFT LCD:

http://www.displayblog.com/2009/09/30/hp-radiance-display/

"Here are the stats: 13.1-inch TFT LCD, LED back­light"

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

So does that mean that they are the same? I mean are LED-Displays and LED-Backlit displays the same? :wacko:

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 24 March 2011 - 09:38 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 15,003 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Unfortunately we're not dealing with an absolute, LED backlit LCD screens in monitors and TVs are often simply described as LED. To my mind, an LED display should be something where the pixel RGB light sources are LEDs, like OLED. But as things stand, we just have to inquire further when we see a screen called LED and confirm if that actually means LED backlit.

#5 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Thanks a lot friend. BTW what kind of lighting do traditional LCDs come with? If not LED?

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 25 March 2011 - 12:22 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 15,003 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:18 AM

LCDs have traditionally used CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp). They are generally tubes located at top and bottom of the screen, and they illuminate a light guide panel behind the LCD which evenly distributes the light across the screen.

#7 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Thanks a lot for the help mate. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users