Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden programs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Porkchop Murphy

Porkchop Murphy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

I am running a Dell home PC with Windows XP. I have experienced some odd things lately and looking at this site ran gmer and it detected C:\program files\winRAR\winRAR.exe (***Hidden File***). This was highlighted in red at the bottom of the scan results.

I don't know if this is related, but Panda Cloud Virus had detected a Rootkit/TDSS.DJ in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iaStor.sys and it looked like it deleted it every 2 minutes for hours (today).

I ran MalwareBytes and it turned up nothing. I ran Spybot and picked up something and I clicked fix before writing down what it was.

boopme,

Thank you for your help with this. Attached are the logs you requested.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dds.txt   25.22KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  ark.txt   10.51KB   1 downloads

Edited by boopme, 26 March 2011 - 02:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Bleeping *^#@%~

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hello and welcome. I apologize for the delay. If you no longer need help with this issue, we would appreciate you letting us know. Otherwise, please perform the following steps so I can have a look at the current condition of your machine. I realize that you have already posted logs, but because of the time that has passed I'd like a fresh set.

Posted Image Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.

DDS.scr
DDS.com
DDS.pif
  • Disable any script blocking protection (How to Disable your Security Programs)
  • Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
---------------------------------------------------
  • Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
  • Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and then click UPLOAD.
Posted Image Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here to your desktop.
  • Double click the exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO.

Posted Image
    Click the image to enlarge it

• In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

If you have trouble running GEMR:
  • Make sure that your security software is disabled
  • Uncheck the box next to "Files" this time also
  • If you still can't run it, try in the Safe Mode
Please include the following in your next post:
  • DDS.txt and Attach.txt logs
  • GMER log

Threads are closed after 5 days of inactivity.

ASAP & UNITE Member

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 Porkchop Murphy

Porkchop Murphy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for you help with this RPMcMurphy. Here are the logs you requested.

Attached Files

#4 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Bleeping *^#@%~

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,970 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

Porkchop Murphy:

Posted Image You have more than one antivirus (AV) program running. Your logs show AdWatch Live, Panda and Avira all running. Running more than one AV program does not offer any more protection and often causes conflicts and slow downs with your computer. Please uninstall all but one of those apps via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

Posted Image P2P - I see you have P2P software (uTorrent & Frostwire) installed on your machine. We are not here to pass judgment on file-sharing as a concept. However, we will warn you that engaging in this activity and having this kind of software installed on your machine will always make you more susceptible to malware infections. Please see this post for more information. I recommend that you uninstall these now. You can do so via Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs. If you choose to keep these applications, please do not use them until our fixes at BC are complete.

Posted Image Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

• Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

• Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

• Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

• ComboFix log

ASAP & UNITE Member

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 Porkchop Murphy

Porkchop Murphy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

RPMcMurphy:

I got rid of all but one AV and uninstalled the P2P per you instructions and rebooted. I downloaded ComboFix and ran it. It said that it would take 10 minutes so I went to get a snack. When I returned, it looked like I had the "Blue Screen of Death". I shut it down with the power button, waited 5 minutes and rebooted the PC. It came back up as normal. I have not done anything else. Should I run ComboFix again?

#6 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Bleeping *^#@%~

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,970 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

Porkchop Murphy:

This will open the log if any was produced. If a log is found, stop and post it. If no log is found, please boot into the safe mode and try running ComboFix from there.

• ComboFix log

ASAP & UNITE Member

#7 Porkchop Murphy

Porkchop Murphy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

RPMcMurphy:

I could not find a log generated. I tried booting in Safe Mode. When I ran ComboFix I got the same thing (Blue Screen). I copied down the screen...

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information
*** STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000016, 0X0000001C, 0X00000000, 0X804E1757)

#8 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Bleeping *^#@%~

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,970 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

Porkchop Murphy:

Posted Image You have this program installed, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM). Please update it and run a scan.

Open MBAM
  • Click the Update tab
  • Click Check for Updates
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • The program will close to update and reopen.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Uncheck any entries from C:\System Volume Information or C:\Qoobox
  • Make sure that everything else is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Posted Image Download aswMBR.exe ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it
  • Click the "Scan" button to start scan
  • On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.
  • MBAM log
  • aswMBR log

ASAP & UNITE Member

#9 Porkchop Murphy

Porkchop Murphy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:41 PM

RPMcMurphy:

Here are the logs you requested.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6256

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

4/3/2011 2:28:43 PM
mbam-log-2011-04-03 (14-28-43).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 358600
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 23 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\documents and settings\Ian\local settings\temp\0.6452293225358854.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Attached Files

#10 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Bleeping *^#@%~

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,970 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

OK, now try running ComboFix again. Try both the normal and safe modes please.

ASAP & UNITE Member

#11 Porkchop Murphy

Porkchop Murphy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:23 AM

Tried to run ComboFix.

Normal - PC froze. Had to shut down using power button.

Safe mode - Blue screen of death.

#12 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Bleeping *^#@%~

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,970 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

Porkchop Murphy:

Please try this:

Click Start > Run or Press Windows Key + R and copy/paste the following single-line command into the Run box and click OK:
"%userprofile%\desktop\combofix.exe" /NoMbr

• ComboFix log

ASAP & UNITE Member

#13 Porkchop Murphy

Porkchop Murphy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

RCMcMurphy:

Fianlly! I started ComboFix in normal mode and it froze. I shut down using the power button and rebooted in Safe Mode. ComboFix started on it's own and ran. Things were a little odd at the end. The screen was going off and coming back on. I got the log, at any rate. See attached.Attached File  log.txt   12.48KB   4 downloads

Edited by Porkchop Murphy, 04 April 2011 - 06:39 PM.

#14 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Bleeping *^#@%~

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,970 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

Porkchop Murphy:

Posted Image Open Notepad Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> Notepad ( this will only work with Notepad ) and copy all the text inside the Codebox by highlighting it all and pressing CTRL C on your keyboard, then paste it into Notepad, make sure there is no space before and above http://

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic386726.html
Collect::
c:\windows\system32\drivers\yeciaa.sys
Driver::
wcwdyko

Save this as CFScript to your desktop.

Then disable your security programs and drag the CFScript into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

Posted Image

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply.

Posted Image You have this program installed, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM). Please update it and run a scan.

Open MBAM
  • Click the Update tab
  • Click Check for Updates
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • The program will close to update and reopen.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Uncheck any entries from C:\System Volume Information or C:\Qoobox
  • Make sure that everything else is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

• ComboFix log
  • MBAM log

ASAP & UNITE Member

#15 Porkchop Murphy

Porkchop Murphy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

RPMcMurphy:

Attached are the logs you requested.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic