Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted Computer - Lost All Drivers - Nothing Works

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Genome

Genome

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

Hello Everyone,
First I just want to say this is quite the forum, I have read many topics and found them quite helpful.

Origin of my Problem:
So I had a popup one day, which froze my computer and installed the incredible "XP Internet Security 2011". You guys probably know what this is as I read topics on your forum about it. Basically its a rogue fake antivirus that completely takes over your computer, wont let you load anything, and even runs in SAFE MODE!? I tried for quite awhile to get rid of it but with no success and much frustration, itís a newer version and is much more advanced. So I decided to reformat my computer"

My Problem:
When I finished reformatting my computer and I was back in windows nothing works the way it did. Mainly:
-My Screen resolution is stuck on the lowest setting with 16 bit picture and no alternative options to change it to. (Before it could go very detailed)
-No Sound
-No Internet - It thinks its back in the 1990's it keeps asking me to dial up.... clearly Iím not on dial up. (Connection Wizard Does Nothing)
-USB Ports donít work, hence canít use flash drives to transfer files. (However CD Drive still works thank goodness, so I can get files on it from burning them at school)

Basically:
-From the research I have done, it appears that I have lost all my drivers. I have no CDs for any of the hardware I have. I donít even know what hardware I have. When I go to Control Panel-> System-> Etc -> Hardware, it says no driver is installed (for anything) and says what Iím running is unknown.
-What i really dont understand is that i personally built this computer out of 2 non-functioning ones. I just put the XP disk in loaded it up and never looked back. So why after reformatting i popped the (same) XP disk in and nothing works like it did before?
-I tried installing service pack#2 but it said "your operating system is not what XP expected" (or something to that effect)

What I Do Know About My Computer
-Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002.
-Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00 GHZ 1.99 GHZ
-768 MB of Ram
-34 GBS of Memory.
-IBM Tower Case

So, How Can I Fix My Baby?
-I mean, sheís not the most advanced computer in the world, but sheís been good to me and we have a long history together. Plus I canít afford a new one.

Your help would be very much appreciated, Iím not totally computer illiterate but I can admit this issue is way over my head.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

First you need to install the chipset driver. You get that from the website of your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer. Then visit the websites of your various hardware manufacturers and install the drivers for you video card, sound card, and ethernet card if you have one. To determine your specific hardware go to START - RUN and type: devmgmet.msc (then press ENTER). That opens device manager. Double click on the various hardware to find out the make and model. Alternatively, you can download, install, and run a third party app such as Belarc Advisor or Everest and your hardware will be identified for you.

#3 Genome

Genome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Allan, much appreciated.
Yeah I have been in Device Manager and everything is listed as "Unknown" with "No Driver Installed".
I just downloaded both Belarc Advisor and Everest I will burn them to a disk and try it out tonight.
I also just downloaded SP1, SP2, SP3.. Do you think my problem has anything to do with the service packs?
I imagine that if there was some kind of "Quick Fix" I would of found it by now or it would cost money, but I’ll ask anyway, Does there exist like some kind of "Driver Package" that could get me up and running again?

Edited by Genome, 23 March 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

FIRST install the drivers, beginning with the chipset driver. Then you can upgrade directly to SP3 (the service packs are cumulative - no need to install all 3)

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

Whats the make/model of the system or is it custom built?

Agreed that the chipset drivers need to be installed first but we have no idea WHICH chipset, video, sound, nic etc drivers to install unless we can ID the system or components first.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

First you need to install the chipset driver. You get that from the website of your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

Fully aware of that Allan

We need more info about the system in order to provide Genome WITH the correct drivers.
At this point we simply dont have enough info to do that.

Lets concentrate on getting the poster back up and running as quickly as possible when we get more info
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 Genome

Genome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Whats the make/model of the system or is it custom built?

Agreed that the chipset drivers need to be installed first but we have no idea WHICH chipset, video, sound, nic etc drivers to install unless we can ID the system or components first.

Hey Eyesee, Thanks for your reply.

My system is custom built from 2 old/non-functioning computers I got for free from my dad's bankrupt business.
The only info I can find about my computer is the "what I do know about my computer" part of my first post. For some reason when I go to the device manager all my hardware is "unknown".
What Iím going to do tonight is use the programs Allan recommended: "Alternatively, you can download, install, and run a third party app such as Belarc Advisor or Everest and your hardware will be identified for you."
Hopefully, if they work on my computer, they will give me the information I need, with respect to my hardware, to get the Drivers I am missing. (Is that a bad sentence or what? lol)
When/If I get the information about my hardware, and if can't find the drivers on my own, I will post the information to you guys.
Regardless I will post an update on my situation tommorrow.
Thanks again, you guys are awsome.

#9 Genome

Genome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

Okay i installed everest on my computer but i have to write everything out, i hope i get everything important
-Microsoft windows xp home edition
-CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 2000 MHz (20 X 100) - (Northwood A80532)
-Motherboard Name: IBM831421U
-Motherboard Chipset: Intel Brookdale-G i845G (NORTH-BRIDGE) - INTEL 82801DB ICH4 (SOUTH-BRIDGE)
-BIOS Type: Phoenix
-Audio Adapter: Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]
-Paritions: C: (NTFS)
-USB1 Controller: Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller {A-1}
-USB2 Controller: Intel 82801db ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
-SPD?: DIMM1: Micron Tech. 8VDDT3264AG-335CA
-SPD: DIMM2: KINGSTON KVR266X64C25/512
-Graphics: Intel Extreme Graphics - Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller
-Network: Intel 82801db ICH4 - LAN Controller with 82562ET/EZ PHY
-Network: Atheros 802.11g Wireless Adapter
-Memory: Intel82845G/GL/GV Memory Controller Hub
Others I dont know whats they are though:
-Intel 82801db I/O CONTROLLER HUB 4 (ICH4)
-Intel 82801db ICH4 - IDE controller
-Intel 82801db ICH4 - LPC Bridge
-Intel 82801db ICH4 - SMBus Controller with 82562ET/EZ PHY

Okay i hope i got everything important.
So which ones do you think i need to get drivers for? and Is there a good website that would have them?
Thankyou for your help.

EDIT:
So i went to IBMS download center and was able to find the following downloads:
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for XP
Intel Application Accelerator
Network Adapter Drivers For XP
-----
Is this what i need to make my screen resolution normal (bigger & more than 16bit), Internet work, Sound work, and USB Drives work? I can only check by traveling far to burn a CD.

Edited by Genome, 24 March 2011 - 01:40 AM.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:57 AM

Post the link you went to for those drivers - was it this one: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-42954 ?

If so, you also want the Intel .inf installation utility

#11 Genome

Genome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

No, That wasnt the site I Found.
I ment to say i went on Intels website, not IBM's. Here is the downloads i found last night:

Intelģ Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows XP
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=9033&ProdId=757&lang=eng

Performance Software - Intelģ Application Accelerator
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=4857&ProdId=757&lang=eng

Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18717&ProdId=1700&lang=eng

---------
And now i downloaded the INF Installation Utility You Just Mentioned. I noticed that the link you sent me is for "This document contains the current driver levels for NetVista", Im not sure what NetVista is.. is that what i have?

So are those 4 items all i will need? or should i download all the drivers off that link you sent me?

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

Candidly, I don't know for certain any of those are the correct drivers (including the link I posted). The system and components appear to be so old that I'm just not sure either one of us got the right links. But things aren't working now, so give it a shot. Not much to lose. If the chipset driver is incorrect I doubt it will install anyway.

Edited by Allan, 24 March 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#13 Genome

Genome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

LOL! Yeah shes real old, late 90's i think. Okay Allan thanks alot i'll burn eveything to a disc and try it out tonight. Hopefully it works =)

#14 Genome

Genome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

Okay So! I got my baby up and running again! yay! thanks for the help people.

I have one smallish problem still.... Uhm.. so when i load my audio driver my keyboard stops working, Odd? As much as a love my computer running again i wouldnt mind having audio and a keyboard, instead of just one or the other. Any Suggestions?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users