Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New router to connect external HD via USB over network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lilkel35

lilkel35

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place...this seemed best. I just purchased a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700 specifically for the USB port on the back. We have a WD Elements external hard drive that holds all of our music, pics, videos, etc. so we don't keep any of that stuff on our computer systems. We have a desktop system and 2 laptops, all running Windows 7 64bit with Service Pack 1. The router setup was pretty flawless and things seemed to be working fine for the desktop system. However, the laptops are having issues. When we go into WMP to add the location to our libraries, it updates fine, but then once the computer is turned off or rebooted, everything disappears and it goes through it all over again. When I set it up on the newest laptop, I mapped the drive and set it to automatically reconnect at startup, but it tries, gives a red x saying it couldn't connect, and it then connects when I go in and manually open it up. On the desktop system (which the WD used to be directly connected to) the hard drive used to show up in "libraries" but it now does not and when I go into indexing options it says that the drive is unavailable. I'm just very confused as to where I should look to solve the issues. I don't want to bog this thread down too much with the individual issues, but if someone can help I can try to go into more detail of what's happening on each machine. As I said, all systems are Win7 64bit and they are all part of the "homegroup." Each one is doing something different here and that's where my exasperation is coming from. Is the problem a router setting issue? A win7/WMP issue? How can I get the ability to control the hard drive (as it seems that I cannot control it's sharing from any of the systems.) I used the Netgear software to map the drive on each system and have ultimate control into the Netgear settings on the desktop system. One thing I've noted is that in the Netgear setup area where I can go checkout the router settings, it lists the usb drive as all access read/write, but lists it with a drive letter of U that it won't let me change. I assigned a drive letter of F when I mapped it because a bunch of my software knows it as F from when it was attached to the desktop. Does this make a difference? Why won't netgear let me change that drive letter from U, which it seems to have arbitrarily assigned to it? Sorry for the questions, just trying to provide the most info to get the help I need. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/File-sharing-essentials
If the network is properly set up and all systems connect via the router...I just don't know.

<<When I set it up on the newest laptop, I mapped the drive and set it to automatically reconnect at startup,>>

An external hard drive is just a shared device...that is connected to any one of the systems. If that system is not operative...then that drive cannot be shared.

I'm probably misunderstanding something here :). What's the model for this WD drive?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#3 lilkel35

lilkel35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Okay, let's try this for an easier question to start--my first post has all of my system specifics, so I won't repeat. Here's the question: how do I index the external drive on my different systems? On the desktop it shows up as "unavailable" in the indexing options. How do I change this so that it is indexed? On the laptop systems it doesn't even show up in the indexing options, even after I click "show all locations". How do I get it to be recognized on the laptops for indexing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users