Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re Booting Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newagedavey11

newagedavey11

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

Hello all, and thank you for your time. Im at work, and a office mate comes in and states, " my computer keeps rebooting and I cannot re start in safe mode, or any mode! It just keeps re-booting.I immediately think, I better get help from BC. So here I am asking for your professional opinion.

Thanking you in advance,
Newagedavey11

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

My name is etavares and I will be working with you to fix your computer.

Please take note:

• If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • If you are unable to perform the steps we have recommended please try one more time and if unsuccessful alert us of such and we will design an alternate means of obtaining the necessary information.
  • Once we start working together, please reply back within 3 days or this thread may be closed so we can help others who are waiting. If you will be unable to respond (e.g. vacation, travel, etc.), please let me know ahead of time.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process. Please also continue to work with me until I give you the all clear. Even if your computer appears to act better, you may still be infected.

Now, a few more questions:
  • As this is a work computer, I must advise you that you should be aware of your IT policies. I am not. I will help you like any other user, but I can't guarantee that we dont' break a custom corporate setup or that you will violate IT policies. The responsibility for that remains with you if we continue.
  • When does it reboot? Do you see a BIOS screen? Do you see the Windows logo? Are you able to attempt to log-on then it reboots? At what point does that happen?
  • Are these computers encrypted? Corporate computers sometimes are. That may inhibit what we need to do.
  • Do you have access to a flash drive and a clean computer? It's likely a corrupted registry entry we need to diagnose and fix.
  • Any idea what happened? Was there an error message before this? Or an antivirus detection?

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 newagedavey11

newagedavey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

Hello Estavares, and thank you for responding so quickly. As you have stated, I needed to give you more info, because what at first looked like a virus, was in fact, a corrupted hard drive.
I cannot thank you, and Bleepingcomputer enough. As is evident to all, it is suicidal,(computer wise), to venture out un-protected in cyber space. One must take the proper steps to protect themselves,of course there are loads of AV programs, and you can literally drown in the wave of advertising offers for on-line protection. Sadly enough, because there is such a large amount of money that can be made from exploiting those that may not have the knowledge,and experience needed to keep themselves, and their computers, virus free.I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be more than a few companies that create as many, if not more, viruses than they destroy!
My point is this, some kind of an award, or citation, or just a big round of applause, should be given to all the individuals at bleepingcomputer.com, for providing a safe haven,and a large database for computer users.
Thanks again Estavares, and THANK YOU BLEEPING COMPUTER!

Dave Russell,(AKA newagedave)

#4 newagedavey11

newagedavey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Etavares,
Please forgive my glaring error in the spelling of your on-line name.I meant no dis-respect.A thousand pardons,
etavares.
newagedave

#5 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

No worries! Thanks for letting us know. So everything is OK on your end then?

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#6 newagedavey11

newagedavey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

Etavares,
As far as I can see eveything is as it should be. Thanks again for being there!

Newagedave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users