Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Memory Cards?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fade2black114

fade2black114

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:06 PM

my computer runs REALLY slow, a friend of mine told me that i don't have enough RAM to do ANYTHING! which is true, I can't open Microsoft Word anymore and i wanted to put the Sims 2 game on my computer, but then my computer can't even function normally if i do that, someone told me that i can get these "cards" that i can put into the computer in order to give it more memory so i can install the game and download Microsoft Word again.... What are these "cards" and how do you install them? and would it fix my computer problem?

I am going to give you my system things so you can see whats wrong and to show you what my friend says is wrong..

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Serivce Pack 2

Registered to:
(im not giving you that info, its not relevent)

Computer:
Intell®
Pentium® 4 CPU 1.60 GHz
1.60 GHz, 128 MB of RAM <<< my friend says that the amount of RAM on my computer is a joke, and that the RAM was the problem.... and that the minnimal is like 250 something...

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:19 PM

Your friend is correct. But as cheap as RAM is I would recommend 512mb instead of 256mb.
There are some things you can do while waiting for the RAM to come in. Start by running Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup. Go into Safe Mode and run [b]Defrag, located next to disk cleanup.
Start with that and let us know if it helps. The RAM will make the big difference.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

Edited by acklan, 26 December 2005 - 01:20 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 fade2black114

fade2black114
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

i already tried to defrag my harddrive and stuff.... i have a virus on my computer too, which Norton can't get rid off... so its running double slow....

how do you go into safe mode? what does it do?

im such a newbie... even though i have had this computer for 5 years....

#4 fade2black114

fade2black114
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:35 PM

and what kind of RAM card should i get for my computer? nd how much would it cost? any info would be helpful

#5 fade2black114

fade2black114
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:57 PM

anything, please???!!!

a link to them?

prices?

types?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:09 PM

i already tried to defrag my harddrive and stuff.... i have a virus on my computer too, which Norton can't get rid off... so its running double slow....

Well you have that right. Norton is a resource hogg. If you don't mind a change you can get a very good antivirus free. You will need to go to the Norton site for instruction on uninstalling Norton.
I use and recommend AVG, but all list are very good and well respected products.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

how do you go into safe mode? what does it do?

To get into Safe Mode repeatedly tap the F8 key while booting the computer. A screen will come up with several options. Select Safe Mode.
When you are in safe mode most drivers are not loaded. This allows you to work with window without interference from other programs. Defrag will some times not work properly in normal mode.

Uninstall Norton 2003
Uninstall Norton 2005

and what kind of RAM card should i get for my computer? nd how much would it cost? any info would be helpful

It will depend on the model of your computer I would think SDram 133mhz. What in the Model of your computer. Or better yet, does your computer have a label on the front telling you what RAM it has>

#7 fade2black114

fade2black114
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:28 PM

i have a Dell Demension 4300S computer, but i have no idea what kind of RAM it has....

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:52 PM

I appears your Dell 4300s use 133mhz Sdram. Go to this site and look for your computer. It appears to be $39+$6 shipping for 256mb.

http://stores.ebay.com/Computer-Memory-Store

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users