Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uncontrolled Applications or Too Many running services

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Trish Stewart

Trish Stewart

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hello, and I am new to the site and in desperate need of some help please. It seems to me that their are way too many services running on my computer plus it looks like doubles of the same service. I use Google Chrome and when I close it and run an "Advanced SystemCare" scan it always tells me to close Chrome which I have already done. I also get the same thing when I am on facebook; for eg: when I play bingo blitz on facebook then exit but am still in facebook, it tells me that I am still playing bingo blitz even though I have closed the application. Could this have something to do with Volume Shadow Copy? My computer is slow on boot up as well but I think that has something to do with the amount of services that start. I have done a "HijackThis" scan and have attached it. I have Windows XP Home Edition, Version 5.1, SP3. I have run the following scans: Advanced SystemCare, SuperAntispyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, disc clean up, FSecure anti-virus program (from shaw cable) and defrag. I do all of these at least 3 times a week.
Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated as I am on disability and cannot afford to have someone look at the computer for me. Thank You :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

Please...do not attach HJT logs here.

HJT is a malware tool, used by the Malware Team here at BC...such logs serve no purpose at all in the XP forum...and will result in the topic being moved to the appropriate (assumbed) malware forum.

<<It seems to me that their are way too many services running on my computer...>>

Hmmm...just how did you form this opinion?

There are no set number of services which run in Windows...every program installed has the capability of increasing the services that are running, by virtue of additional items they install as services.

I will say that you probably need to take a look at the programs you have installed...before you ever decide to start playing around with services.

How To Determine what Services are Running in WinXP - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/services.htm

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Louis

I would also suggest...removing Advanced System Care from your system...you might find that removing it makes some difference in your concerns.

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2011 - 02:02 PM.

#3 Trish Stewart

Trish Stewart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

I apologize for not knowing to not add a copy of HJT. Thank you for your prompt answer. I think I may have used the wrong terminology. When I bring up task manager it shows multiples of the same program under the tab Processes; eg: svchost.exe (system and local service and network service) also it shows explorer.exe a few times which I rarely ever use, google x2, and all of a sudden mDNSResponder.exe is there and I have no idea how it got there; it also shows WLIDSVCM.exe twice. I am noticing that the multiple processes are run under system, network service, local service and of course me (Trish). Do I need to have all 4? You had mentioned that I should uninstall Advanced Systemcare, is there another program that does the same thing that you would reccommend? Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

<<You had mentioned that I should uninstall Advanced Systemcare, is there another program that does the same thing that you would reccommend?>>

Well...I'd have to have some answers from you :).

a. Just what does this program do...that you think that it's of some value?

b. Once you define what positive value it has...then it's easy to consider replacements or removal.

c. If there is nothing that this program does...that is essential or an improvement of any sort...then I have to question installing it.

I consider this and all other "optimizers" nothing but "eye candy" for unsuspecting users who think that such programs really provide an essential service of some sort. My contention is that they don't...and I uninstall or never install such programs (unless I just want to prove that they are not worth the time/effort.)

Advertisement, http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

Aside from the fact that I see no value, following is a policy statement.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6456/what-is-mdnsresponder.exe-bonjour-and-how-can-i-uninstall-or-remove-it/

Iexplore.exe is the valid IE process. With one IE window open, there should be two instances of iexplore.exe reflected...with an increase of one instance for each window open in IE at the same time. If I have 5 IE windows open, Task Manager should reflect 6 instances of iexplore.exe. This is NOT to be confused with any instance of iexplorer.exe...which is malware.

I've previously provided a link explaining svchost.exe.

I don't know why Google would be reflected in Task Manager, unless you are using it or have the toolbar installed as an add-on.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/30348/what-are-wlidsvc.exe-and-wlidsvcm.exe-and-why-are-they-running/

Hope that helps :).

Louis

#5 Trish Stewart

Trish Stewart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

considering the fact that you are way more knowledgeable in the technical field than me I will take your advice about the registry cleaner. I just assumed that it helped keep everything in the registry in the order it should be expecially when I do alot of downloading of games and what not. I guess I will just frequent the defrag process more often. Thank you very much for your help it is greatly appreciated.

:thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

Well...no problem :).

The problem with the term "registry cleaner"...is that users don't really understand...that there is absolutely no basic need for this type of program.

Louis

#7 Trish Stewart

Trish Stewart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

I hear ya, and I have basically taught myself alot about computers over the years through trial and error and in most instances have even been able to fix the problems myself. I have one more question if its ok; do you know what "Trend Chip Away Guard" is? I've tried to google it but the only information I can find is from 5 years or so ago and never the same answer twice lol

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks again.

Trish

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

See quote by Cool Dog, http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100116033616AAib4lu .

I would disable that in the BIOS.

Louis

#9 Trish Stewart

Trish Stewart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hi again, I disabled Trend Chip Away and it seemed to help my computer load a little faster on start up so thank you for that. I apologise for being such a pest but I am trying to clean up my computer of things that I think cause me problems. I use google chrome and have been having alot of problems with the flash crashing ugh but anyways, do I need to have Google Gears? I use my computer for nothing but for social and gaming. Also, can I disable or put manual on for the msdtc.exe service that is showing in my task manager?

thanks again

Edited by Trish Stewart, 02 April 2011 - 02:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users