Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstall from recovery discs failed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

win xp tab ed on thinkpad x41t

I reinstalled winxp tab ed sp2 from the set of recovery discs last week. After I updated to sp3 and started the update process from there I noticed I was already having problems like a management console encountering problems and having to close. I decided to try making a WinXPTE install cd via a forum tutorial and try doing a clean install instead of the recovery disc install, which has a lot of bloatware and old lenovo apps. This required bringing the os back to sp2 in order to follow the tutorial's directions, so I put the first recovery disc in my external optical drive and booted up.

The process began by copying files over, then I got a message from Product Recovery "There was an error during initialization". Behind that was a "Debug Assertion Failed Program x:\i386\system32\oemwinpe.exe; file: fopen:C; line 34; Expression *file!=_T("/0')
For info on how your program can cause an assertion failure see Visual C++ documentation on asserts."
I tried starting over and it happened again.

My hard disk is now unbootable. My warranty ran out last month. Any suggestions?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

I think on a bad volume.
Normally say I, repair the HD. Volume, but there is a problem.
Your HD. is not bootable: My question in this is: Do you have backups of your important files.?
When you have that, than is it the case, that you take care that you have a bootable disk with the command format.
When you have this all, than put you the bootable disk in A:\> and start up the machine.
Your Computer will now read the data from A:\> and give you the A:\> prompted.
Run format C: and after this have you a clean C:\> drive.
Than can you install Windows Os again.

When you have a partition backup, than must be the possibility for you, that you can restore the partition backup via the Backup program.
Personally use I Paragon Backup software and when I got the same problem just like you, than take I the rescue disk from Paragon and repair my system.
When you have a Backup program with a rescue disk just like me, than can you repair the partition immediately.
When you don't have a Backup program and also not a bootable disk, than must you ask a friend or you may make a bootable disk.
When you don't know how you must do that, than do you this as next:

First do you format a: /s enter
Now create Windows a system disk, when this is finished than do you after this:

Copy Con: Autoexecnt.bat
@echo off
echo “when you hit a key than your Harddisk will be format, are you sure that you would do that.?”
Echo “if not, than press ctrl Z keys”
Pause
cls
format c:
^z

I use by Copy Con the name Autoexecnt, this is an example for you.
With copy con can you use all names, just like BC.
It is important that you shut off the batch file with ^z .
When you hit the buttons ctrl and Z on the same time, than the process will be finished.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 24 March 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

Thanks RadioNorthsea,

Yes, my personal files are backed up. The Recovery discs I was using wipe the discs and put the computer back to its factory state - reinstalls winxp te and the lenovo drivers & apps and also lenovo's recovery partition. The thinkpad has a hidden rescue & recovery partition and the winxp partition. I currently can not boot into either. The thinkpad doesn't have a floppy or optical drive, but I can boot from an external optical drive.

I found I have a Bart PE disc. I wasn't able to put together one myself but I must have found a downloadable iso to burn. The disc has a command prompt window which opens into x:\system32\i386. According to the disc's menu, there's a RAM disc at B:.I don't know what that means unless it's a little virtual hdd in RAM in case you need something to write to.

I dir'd a c drive with files which appear to have been written when I attempted the reinstall per their dates, so I think that's my hdd. I think I can do a format from the command prompt window. The command would be
format c: fs:ntfs
correct?

The Bart PE disc has a chckdsk utility which I tried to run, but it said the c: drive had a RAW format so it couldn't check it. I guess the first install disc erased the partition table. So if the recovery installation process starts by putting the hdd into RAW format, will formatting the drive do anything?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:58 AM

Hello MaryBeth82,

Yes, my personal files are backed up.

You said that you have your personal files backed up, my question in this is:

Did you do that via an advanced backup program just like Paragon Backup program of did you do that with the built in backup program from Windows?
Why ask I this, well, I got the impress that you think that the built in backup program from Windows is the same as the backup program what I have.
I can tell you, it is not the same.
The built in backup program from Windows makes only a backup from the system and not from your important files.
When you had access to your desktop and you turn back the backup via restore to the point where you have not the recent files, than lost you your files.
When you have a Backup program just like me or whoever or you copied the important files to a disk or external Hard Disk, than is there not a problem when you run format c:
When you run format c: than format makes a new partition without the os.
When you run format c: /s than format create a system partition.
But option /s is not needed, because when you have ran format c: ,than get you the installation disk, put it in the Cd\Dvd-drive and the install cd, create a new bootable partition, so also Windows.
But there is a problem:
Format delete all files from your exist partition.
Before you run the format command, it is needed that you are sure that you have copies from important files on disk or ext. HD. or that you have a backup what is created by an advanced Backup program just like Paragon Backup or Backup4you.
So dear lady, if you can see is the backup program from Windows and the backup program from Paragon or Backup4you, not the same.
About the hidden partition:
When an user has Windows XP Home, than has the user the possibility for make the hidden partition visible via msconfig.
But with Windows XP prof, is that not possible.
What to do, when you haven't backups what is created by Paragon Backup or Backup4you:

At this moment, I don't know.

About format c: fs:ntfs question, here is a link, that tell you more about the format command.
Personally find I, format c: without the option, more than enough.

http://www.tippscout.de/formatting-format-drive-c-in-xp-or-windows-2000-and-erase-all-data_tipp_2629.html

Than would I give answer on the problem when you have not copies or backups from the important files, and the partition is damaged:

Via a Crossover cable can you make a connection between 2 computers, where by the one works as Host and the other as Client.
For that must you find a friend or a good neighbour, that would help you with that.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 25 March 2011 - 10:27 AM.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

Thanks RadioNorthsea,

I only have a backup of my personal files; I don't have either a winxp backup of the system or a clone/mirror image-type backup. I planned to make one when I had a good install of winxp te w/ either acronis or macrium reflect. Paragon sounds like it does a similar type backup.

What I have is the recovery installation discs lenovo provided that installs winxp te on the computer. I used them to install winxp on a blank drive when I had to replace the hdd and again last week. I have no idea why this week I got the initialization and insertion errors. I checked the hdd and memory using lenovo's hardware check, the memory w/ windows memtest and the new hdd w/ HD Tune not too long ago. If this is a hardware problem, I hope it's the external optical drive.

Does the format command id/sequester bad sectors? Just format C: is supposed to format to the same file system the volume currently has. Chkdsk says that it's the RAW format, about which I know nothing and wikipedia and google haven't helped much. The format command, however, said it was FAT32, which seemed more likely since I could directory the drive. So I used format c:.

Once the drive is formatted I'll try the installation cds again.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

What I will say is:

It is important that you have a clean install cd.
With clean do I mean: No damages, no finger prints and no dust on the cd.
When you have a clean install cd and you can not install Windows Xp, than is there a problem with the hard disk.
You told me that you had a blanc hard disk, you install the os and then after this got you problems.
This sound is for me, hard disk problems.
When you have a blanc hard disk, than is the recovery cd more than enough for installation.
The recovery cd, format the hard disk on high level and after this create it the partition with the system files.
The format command self, format the disk on low level.
I spoke last over format c: ,because I was thinking at a bad volume.
When you have an installation on disk and you would make a new one, than is it wise that you run as first format c:

When a disk has a partition and that disk would be format with the recovery cd.,and you run not format c:, than the old partition would been stay on the drive as image and you get possible problems.

I can understand that you say: :blink: but what I tell is true.
Many years ago was there a program with the name pcTools and with that program could you see, what I do mean, now in the 21th century, that program doesn't exist anymore, but what I will say to you is: The installation cd sees the old partition and when the old partition has errors, than get you problems with the installation.
But in your case misses, think I, that here is more on matter.
My solution in this is:

Check your recovery cd on the points what I said, is it all okay, than must you to the Computer shop with your hard disk.
You spoke over a blanc hard disk, I suppose that you have a new hard disk.
On the hard disk have you 1 year guarantee, at least.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 25 March 2011 - 08:12 PM.

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Thanks RadioNorthsea,

First, thanks for the help. I formatted the hdd and the installation "took" this time and installed the recovery partition and the winxp partition. Currently, I can boot into either partition.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about where I was starting the install. It was not a blank hdd. It had the above partitions on the hdd a week ago when I couldn't boot into either partition. The installation last week went OK as far as I could tell, but this computer has always been really glitchy. I think that might be due to the way lenovo installs the os.

Tablet pc's do not come w/ a winxp te cd so that one can do a clean install. I found a forum tutorial on how to make a winxp te install cd, so I tried to do the reinstall this week to get back to winxp sp2 so I could follow the directions. The new install from last week was already acting glitchy.

I think the recovery discs format the hdd, first into FAT and then the winxp partition into ntfs, but I can't be sure what they do in what order. I noted toward the end of the process last week a message that the ntfs format would now occur.

The current hdd was installed under warranty - I seem to remember it didn't itself have a long warranty. I've tried to determine for awhile if the computer's problems were due to hardware, the way win xp te was installed by lenovo or if winxp te is just a poor os. The hardware tests available to me never found anything [except when the first hdd went bad] so I'm hoping at this point [sans warranty] that it's a software issue. I'm going to try doing the clean install [formatting the drive first!], then installing only necessary and current lenovo drivers and see how the tablet works. If I get a good install, at that point I'll try to clone a copy I can go back to if security updates or added apps get me back to a glitchy tablet. I hope I can do this and it works. The thinkpad x41 would be a nice little tablet pc if it would only work.

Thanks again.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#8 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

you're welcome and success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic