Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Redirects in Firefox from search pages.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HeyYou2

HeyYou2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

Howdy folks.

I am having issues with my Firefox...... When clicking a link from a google search results page, I get randomly redirected to some other, completely unrelated page. Generally advertising of some sort. I have been researching this problem for a while, and have tried numerous methods of repairing it, all to no avail. (short of uninstalling, and then re-installing firefox.... that's my last ditch resort though.)

I have scanned my machine, and cleaned it off, with AdAware, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and TrendMicro's housecall. (and even used hijackthis to see what all was in the registry, nuked a couple things out of there, but, still, no soap.) Even when completely cleaned, the problem persists. I have seen folks recommend the use of ComboFix... but, I have a 64 bit version of XP, and that does not appear to be supported. I have used UnHackMe, and it found some additional infections, (three, to be precise...), but, that didn't fix it either.

At this point, I am at a loss. I haven't the faintest idea of how to proceed, short of nuking Firefox, and reinstalling it, and if THAT doesn't work.... Nuking the entire harddrive, and reinstalling EVERYTHING. I REALLY don't wanna go there thankyouverymuch.......

Suggestions? Comments? Complaints? Shoe size?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hello,please do these, post logs and update me.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Run TFC by OT (Temp File Cleaner)
Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal/regular mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users