Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ORGANIZE PHOTOS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

I need to make some order from chaos, I need more time, I need a new and improved brain, I need the day to be at least 28 hours long, preferably 29, I need to see what it feels like to sleep in a bed instead of a recliner where bad girls fall asleep when their attempts at behavior modification continue a trend best described as a "dismal failure".

All and/or most of those things are related in some way, large or small, to my personal photos, others personal photos they share (usually nature gets me every time), handsome guys, beaches, beaches with handsome guys, PUPPIES is a big one.... :clapping:

IF I could get organized my photos my life would be so much nicer. Instead, my photos seem to be suffering a serious leak (not wiki) the flow continues unabated of loss day after day.

For one thing, I have photos over here and photos over there, from my MAC Iphoto, from Picasa, from Picnyk, yada yada. I had a very nice Photoshop program for a while but it was a loaner and so is sadly but predictably gone now. I got photos (or thought I did) in my dropbox,
I got photos on disks and/or flash drives (but dang they are always duplicates, never ones I'm missing photos and I got a few photos in emails to myself or someone else, I got photos of old times gone by (and many of the people gone by as well which are very precious (the photos and the people)) I've' been scanning a few at a time and adjusting the ones faded, but they balk some of them when I put them in I-Photo from my very nice lexmark scanner with software that mutates from time to time so that when I put them into I-Photo and do the enhancement thing any attempts to then transfer to another place, be it another program or desktop, they say something about how they are in an unrecognizable form. :angry: I got or more accurately I HAD photos that were stolen from me when 3 thugs invaded my home last summer and stole both my computers so those are gone forever. I foolishly (I now realize) did not anticipate how today's "youngster's" do not apparently know the difference between MINE and YOURS. As a result I figured (again foolishly, foolishness seems to be a recurring pattern in my life that I thought would have corrected itself at this stage of the game) that each computer served as an external hard drive for the other. Silly, :blink: I know, but anyway?

The latest fiasco was when I was attempting to get rid of the extras, I have five of the same photos scattered here and there in emails etc. So I managed to get most of them all pulled up together at once, (not sure how, my brain is tired and not tracking too well) and I took advantage of this fortunate circumstance by weeding through and deleting the duplicates only to find that somehow even though my computer indicated (the recurring foolish thing i talked about earlier). Drop Box is gone and it doesn't want to come back. In my defense, i do think that a small measure of the problem is the fact that I have a Windows 7 laptop and a fairly new Snow Leopard (upgraded from Tiger 10.4 after the aforementioned theft thingy) Yes, it was foolish of me to mix computers like that. Foolish, foolish, foolish, is the bane of my existence.

Anyway if I can stop hermoraghing pictures I might still be able to assemble a fair amount of my pictures but I feel hopelessly lost as obviously the deleting duplicates did not work out well.

How will I ever get organized so I can know what I have? Until i can know what I have and do an inventory (and a backup unless I'm feeling foolish) how do I even start.

PLUS, to my vexation (which I do confess is a state I get into all too easily but they are reluctant to set me free again once I go there) now, after having complete some much-needed repairs on my Windows& Laptop (with the very help of a very patient Mole from Am I Infected, I now find that despite the fact that I have Picasa installed, I'm sure of it and even Kodak which I don't like their editing software much but it works better than I do so I can't criticize too much Here's the vexing part - when i tried to set my default photo so program to Picasa its no where to be found on the disk, even if I search it all I get are the photos not the program. And without that the computer refuses to let me save any pictures I have, preferring instead to insist I search for one instead even though I said at the outset that I wanted to add to/organize, not continue to randomly delete more and more of my photos. Did I mention that most if not all of my photos (there are a few exceptions to the Precious tags i put on these photos. fsuch as the one which appears to be me in some state mild to moderate intoxication such as the one taken December 26 of what year I cannot determine. I was either very sick with flulike symptoms or drunk one or the other.

All of which brings me back (and hopefully you too) to the bleeding photos/organizational challenges I face and I am moved again to lament WHAT the heck SHOULD I DO NOW?
:wacko: help please! (btw I wish to say I am not yelling, only emphasizing?) Help!

Edit: Moved topic from Photo Albums, Images, and Videos to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlueCat57

BlueCat57

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

Ah, a fellow traveler. My mind seems like mush and I often forget why I am walking across the house. Here are some thoughts.

1. Do NOT use any Apple product to organize or store your photos. For some reason Apple programmers like to make you think you have the actual file stored on your local computer where you assU&me that it is safe. You then delete what you think is a copy or shortcut to the file only to find out that they then ASSu&me that you wanted to delete not only what you thought was a copy but the original and ALL traces that the file ever existed.

2. Pick a Windows based program like Picasa (Google), Windows Live Photo (Microsoft) or some Adobe product and use that exclusively to manage your photos. When you take a photo put it in whatever directory they have created.

3. Buy an extra hard drive, external or internal, that is at least 500GB and COPY your original photos to that and never touch the originals again unless you messed up the copy and need a new copy of the original to work on. Sign up for online backup and/or storage and store the copies you've modified to that.

4. Sorry, I'm drifting off. What are we discussing?

Or find a 10 year old and pay them to manage your photos. Just be sure to put black bars on all those photos you thought were a great idea at the time before you let them go to work.

5. Did you say something about a scanner? If you did check out Costco's Photo Dept. or your local drug store. A lot of places offer photo scanning services so you can pay them to put your photos and slides onto disc and then store them on the above mentioned computers. You could also back up your files to DVD and put them in a safe deposit box where they will be safe as long as you can remember which bank the box is in.

After you've got all the photos in one place and organized you could pay the now 20 year old to turn them into a slide show that you can watch from you bed in the assisted living facility. (I joke because I'm not as far away from that as I think.)

If I can remember where this post is I'll come back and let you know what I come up with to solve my similar problem. I think I've finally got all my photos on one computer and am planning to either have Costco scan my slides and negatives or buy a scanner and do it myself in the near future. I'm going to start working on weeding out the close duplicates and orgainizing them into albums for my kids and their grandparents.

Good luck!

#3 Styck

Styck

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Speaking of SCANNERS....What's the best way to scan pages from a book with out damaging the book...
Gotta chance to get a "CRUISE BOOK" from when I was in the Navy from a friend but DO NOT want to alter/tear/rip??? the book in any way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users