Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have to Minimize/Restore in order to click

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ashes2flames

ashes2flames

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

I have to minimize and then restore (or otherwise shift focus back and forth) applications in order to be able to left click
on links, interact with web forms, interact with menus etc.

Upon a fresh boot I can not left click on anything (start menu, quick launch etc). If I press the start menu key on the keyboard and then move the mouse cursor over the items, nothing highlights or can be left clicked. However, if I right click on the desktop I can then get those menu items to highlight and they are left clickable. If I do a ctrl-alt-del and then minimize the task manager, I can then interact normally with the left mouse button on the start menu etc.

If I launch firefox (3.6.15 or 4.* .. or even IE 8) I can interact normally with the first page that loads. If I open another tab I can no longer click on links on either tab. The cursor does not change when I move it over the links. If I minimize firefox and then restore it, I can immediately click on links again, but only the tab that had focus upon restoring. I have to switch tabs then minimize/restore to click on links (or use forms etc) on the other tab.

This also affects flash controls. If I had a flash video in the first tab then I would not get the menu for play/pause etc until I restore the browser with that tab in focus.

I have tried going back to a restore point before this started (about a week ago) but no luck. I've scanned for malware and virus but everything is clean. I've only installed one program in the last month or so and that was yup yup alarm, which I have uninstalled and the restore point took me to before that installation.

Sorry for the long post, but this insane problem was difficult to describe and I wanted to give as much detail as I could. I am very grateful for any help! If you need more info please let me know.

WinXP Pro SP3
Logitech Wave wired (usb) keyboard
Logitech VX Revolution mouse

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

"I've scanned for malware and virus but everything is clean."

What programs did you use?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 ashes2flames

ashes2flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy and Avira.

Thanks for any assistance!

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

Could this be a mouse problem?
Have you tried another mouse?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 ashes2flames

ashes2flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

Unfortunately, no. The mouse works fine on another computer (exact same configuration hardware and software except slightly less memory). Even if the mouse were to be failing, it would not cause the flash controls to stop appearing. What I mean is, applications aren't recognizing the mouse hovering over a location, it isn't about clicking. But the cursor is there, and if I right click to bring up a sub menu or if I switch focus back and forth, then the mouse position is recognized.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

Chkdsk /r...defrag...sfc /scannow or a repair install...these are the tools I would resort to, as a first attempt to resolve. it apears to be an O/S problem and I would start there.

Louis

#7 ashes2flames

ashes2flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

Alright .. I got hold of an old ps2 mouse and here is what I did:

through control panel:
uninstalled uberoptions
uninstalled setpoint

through device manager:
uninstlled all devices under "human interface devices"
uninstalled the mouse under "mice and other pointing devices"

shut down the pc
removed the usb receiver for the mouse
installed the ps2 mouse
restarted

everything behaves correctly

shut down
removed ps2 mouse
installed usb reveiver for the vx revolution
restart

exact same problem / objects don't recognize that the cursor is over them.

if I shift focus (minimize/restore) BAM! it works. Obviously this is a problem with the mouse (or whatever is driving it (I didn't re-install setpoint or uberoptions) but I don't see how this could be a hardware problem since the hardware works after the min/max. Or whatever the problem is, it only affects this mouse. So frustrated.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

What is there to be...frustrated about?

A mouse is probably the 2d cheapest component on any computer...the CMOS battery being cheaper still.

Louis

#9 ashes2flames

ashes2flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

What is there to be...frustrated about?

A mouse is probably the 2d cheapest component on any computer...the CMOS battery being cheaper still.

Louis

Where is it you buy your Logitech VX Revolution? I have a feeling it costs a whole lot more than a CMOS battery anywhere you go. Besides the fact that there isn't any indication this a hardware issue. But thank you for your help regardless. Defrag .. didn't think of that.

Edited by ashes2flames, 23 March 2011 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users