Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot locate file on hard disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 langel

langel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Desktop mobo died. removed hard drive and put in usb enclosure hooked to laptop.

It appears all the files are there but I cannot locate files that were 'on' the Windows XP desktop for my login. I can't even see my login.

I'm looking for an Excel file that I don't have the exact name for.

desktop was running Windows XP on a Dell XPS 600. Have gone to documents and settings but do not see the user name I usually logged into. all the other logins are there.
I have searched for excel files on the drive that the hard disk enclosure is hooked to f:, but don't find it.

Can the old hard drive be partitioned in some way? how can I get to the other partition?

The laptop that the old hard drive is connected to runs Vista, if that matters.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Two suggestions...

a. If the hard drive was moved from one system/motherboard to a different one....you will have to take ownership of the Docs/Settings files to access them.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

b. Once that is done, I would install/use a search engine called Everything...to find any file, of any type, at any time.

Everything Search Engine

Louis

#3 langel

langel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Thanks but no it was not moved to another system, just made it an external drive.

Turns out my login directory structure was made hidden. In the horrible Vista search window I found how to search hidden files, etc and it found my login and desktop directory.

Feel silly now. thanks anyway for your help.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

Duplicate topic here as well: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic386626.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users