Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attachment Downloads from Yahoo Mail Never Finish

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

This topic is one that I posted in another forum and was suggested to move here. Please help!

I know it is long but I wanted to include all I had done so far and what was done with the previous helper.

naughtyeyes

Group:
Members Posts:
5 Joined:
08-February 11 Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

I have been having the following problem for several weeks and nothing done so far seems to help.

I use Yahoo mail as my primary non-work email provider. I only have this problem when using Yahoo mail, not any other email applications and my computer works fine other than this. When I recieve emails that have attachments, no matter what type; doc, pdf, jpeg, they never finish downloading. When I open the email everything pops up smoothly, I click the link to open the attachment, then a window pops up with a revolving green arrow to check for viruses, after several seconds it finishes and a button pops up that says "download file" so I click the button and then the windows download screen pops up asking me to save, open, or cancel. I have the problem if I click save or open either way. Once I choose an option the next window pops up with the little earth and a file folder and the paper flipping between the two. Nothing else comes up in the window. I am used to seeing the download speed and the estimated time remaining but it never shows and the download never completes. Sometimes I can download one or two things and then this occurs and its like my computer has gone into slow-mo and I have to force reboot in order to do anything.

I have tried several different things to solve this problem. My virus software and firewall are up to date and running smoothly. My computer works like a dream until this happens. Other internet sites function fine and my download and upload speed test is what it should be. I have tried to reboot the router and repair the internet connection. These don't seem to prevent the problem from happening again and don't solve the problem once it has started. I've debugged, defragged, scanned for malware and rootkits and I'm ready to pull my hair out!

I took the computer to a repair person and he suggested that the problem may be with the router. He may be right but I have 4 other identical computers that connect and download the same emails just fine. This happens no matter if we are all on at once or if only the one computer is connected. My router is a Lynksys wireless N, it is about 2 years old. My computer is a dell inspiron 1501 running windows xp professional, it is up to date with all windows updates. I use IE 8 to browse, I do not use outlook to get my mail, I am trying to download straight from the yahoo mail site.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Back to top MultiQuote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2 naughtyeyes

Group:
Members Posts:
5 Joined:
08-February 11 Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

I know this is a super long post but I tried to include everything. The guts of my problem is that attachment downloads from yahoo mail never finish. And I mean never, not just slow, never. I never recieved any replies but I seriously need help.

Is the problem likely in my router if no virus can be found? I've used every anti-virus, anti-spy, anti-rootkit tool available, free and paid, nothing found. I don't have trouble with my other computers attached to the same router. My router is as secure as I know how to make it, I have a password to connect not to mention my nearest neighbor is over 6 miles away.

Please help me, I'm almost decided that a total wipe out of my harddrive is the only option but I'm not even sure this is it if it is in the router!

Help!

Back to top MultiQuote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 boopme

To INSANITY and BEYOND !!

Group:
Moderator Posts:
37,486 Joined:
10-September 04 Gender:Male Location:NJ USA Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

Hello,nor sure what we have here so let's do a svan and see what comes back
Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
•Make sure you are connected to the Internet.

•Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.

•When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.

•When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
◦Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

◦Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

•Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
•If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

•If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
•Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.

•Then click on the Scan button.

•If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

•The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.

•When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".

•Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
•Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

•Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

•When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.

•The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

•Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

•Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Back to top MultiQuote
#4 naughtyeyes

Group:
Members Posts:
5 Joined:
08-February 11 Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

The quick scan was completed with no malicious items detected.

Full scan completed with no Malicious items detected.

sigh, I suppose that is a good thing.

This post has been edited by naughtyeyes: 18 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

Back to top MultiQuote
#5 naughtyeyes

Group:
Members Posts:
5 Joined:
08-February 11 Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

Also, I used the startup list forum and index to remove quite a few items from the X list. Not quite sure if that means those items are gone or if they are just no longer running on startup. Don't know if that has something to do with it or what.

Back to top MultiQuote
#6 boopme

To INSANITY and BEYOND !!

Group:
Moderator Posts:
37,486 Joined:
10-September 04 Gender:Male Location:NJ USA Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

Hello,I believe this is not a malware issue. I think you should re ask this issue in the web browsing forum. Mention that you went thru this forum (AII) already. I think we need someone better with mail programs than I.

We can reset the router,but as you are networked you may need to reconnect all down the line

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

Also I wanted to mention that this happens even when I took my computer on vacation. Its not just when I am at home.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#4 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

Heres the link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hehwyX8jVcMvMU6gMU1NTKm

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

Have you tried it without AVG's firewall active?

#6 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

Not exactly...

The firewall will only stay off for 15 min at a time, and it is really unpredictable as to when this is going to happen. I suppose I could uninstall the whole thing for a while, but that is a little scary for me.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Uninstall AVG all together, then install MSE and see if the issue goes away.

#8 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

What is MSE?

How will I know if the issue is gone, if it happens sporadically?

#9 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

I can't get AVG to finish uninstalling, is there a way to force it?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

What is MSE: Microsoft Security Essentials.

Here is where you get the AVG Remover

#11 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

After removing AVG...finally, and getting MSE installed everything seemed to work smoothly for a while.

My computer connects to the wireless router quicker than before so maybe removing AVG solved some problems, but today I had the same problem with the downloads. It worked fine all weekend and then suddenly it happens again.

I had more than one IE window open at the time and it seemed that as soon as I logged into Yahoo everything slowed down to a snails pace. It took a while for the yahoo virus detection window to complete its scan and then once I clicked save nothing else happened, I had to reboot to do anything.

I was so excited over the weekend :( now what?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

Have you tried using another browser like Firefox?

#13 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

will try...

Thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users