Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Seems To Be Infected?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BurntFrost

BurntFrost

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:15 PM

My computer has taken to keeping itself busy wile I am using it or not. I have exhausted all the repair abilties that I have and I am hoping that someone else will have a different idea.

Here are the symptoms:

1) Random program loading (although lately I have noticed that it seems to feed off of the 'recently used program list')

2) This error will pop up and if left alone 20 of them will be up when I return.:

Windows cannot find ','. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

3) Random keystrokes: My computer will "type" keys of it's choice. Anything from the function keys to the sleep button.

4) Master volume will mute at random times

What I have done so far:

I run ad-aware daily (in normal mode it finds noting, in safe mode it always finds something)
I run CA EZ Armor (Anti-Spy, Anti-virus, and firewall)
Spybot S&D
All say my system is clean.

I have reformatted the main drive (I have 2 physical HD's the secondary divded into 2 drives)
and reinstalled windows. It did not effect the problem.

Replaced the keyboard.

Any help would be appreciated as the problem seems to be getting worse and at the least is extremely annoying.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

:thumbsup: to BC BurntFrost,

When you say you reistalled Windows do you mean a clean installation from a Windows CD or you reloaded an image of your hard drive or something else? What version and SP level of Windows are you running? Do you just have Windows on your problem system or have you loaded other software yet?

Are you using any speech recognition software?

Try changing the mouse as well as the keyboard.

What happens if you boot in Safe Mode? If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:

Safe Mode Tutorial

:flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 26 December 2005 - 08:09 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 BurntFrost

BurntFrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:45 PM

Sorry should have been more specific. Yes I did a clean install from a install CD not a disk image. And It seems that that whatever is wrong doesn't happen in safe mode. I booted to safe mode w/o networking support to run all the spyware removers and A/V progs. They found items, but it didn't solve the problem.
And the problem started with only windows on the system. Although I have reinstalled all my other software at this point because I am beginning to get used to the fact that I may have to live with this issue.

Edited by BurntFrost, 26 December 2005 - 07:47 PM.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:12 PM

all the spyware removers and A/V progs. They found items

Can you be more specific, again?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 BurntFrost

BurntFrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:25 PM

I run ad-aware SE, Computer Associates Pest Patrol, and Spybot S&D. The pests they find vary...always Trojan something...next time they catch one I will post the name if that will help. If I run them in standard mode they detect nothing...reboot to safe mode and they almost always catch something.

#6 root

root

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:36 PM

Malicious code can hide in some pretty AMAZING places on your system. Have you low-level formatted (zeroed out) your hard disk? If it truely is malicious code, and you're using a legitimate version of Windows, it'll most likely solve your headache.

Good luck,
Root

#7 BurntFrost

BurntFrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:49 PM

Thanks, I haven't tried the low lvl format yet...was hoping to not have to go that route as I have used my xp install code the max number of times and I have to call MS and get treated like a criminal everytime I have to reinstall it again.

Question though If I low level the main drive should I also format the second HD? It is where I locate the swap file so I assume that it could also be infected?

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:53 PM

I don't recognise any of your list as anti-virus programs. I'd suggest you download AVG and the manual update files (see below) on another PC, copy it to your PC then install AVG and manually update it to run a scan in safe mode.

Download AVG Free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free

Manual Update for AVG

Manual Update site:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/24/lng/us/tpl/v5

Priority updates - These are virus definition updates. 2 files listed *.bin format

Recommended updates - These are program bug fixes. 2 files listed *.bin format

Optional updates - low priority presentation changes.

How to update:
Copy the .bin file to a folder or your desktop. Start AVG Control Centre. Click Update, at the bottom of the dialog window are the buttons 'Internet' and 'Folder'. Click 'Folder', a directory tree will open asking you to point to the folder where you put the .bin file. Once you click the correct folder AVG will find it and update itself.
If you do not have the option to choose the update source because the 'do not ask this question again' box had been ticked, you can reset this in the Control Centre by clicking 'View'>'Components'>'Update Manager. In the Update Manager in the 'Properties' tab untick the 'Do not ask for the update source' box.

hth

#9 BurntFrost

BurntFrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:56 PM

My anti-virus software is Computer Associates A/V. Their firewall is a clone of zonealarm, not sure who they got the a/v from. It has NEVER found anything. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. I'll go get AVG like you suggested and try that.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:51 PM

Okay, I just wasn't familiar with Pest Patrol. If you chose to replace it with AVG uninstall Pest Patrol so there are no conflicts.

#11 BurntFrost

BurntFrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:19 PM

AVG didn't find anything...which turns out to be a good thing. I solved the problem. A long time ago I bought a cordless mouse/keyboard combo. They keyboard has long since worn out, but I was still using the receiver because the mouse worked fine. Apparently the receiver was picking up a signal from something else and was opening the programs and typing (it was one of those keyboard with all the dedicated program buttons on it.) Unplugging the receiver and switching to my old corded mouse has fixed the problem. I appreciate all the help though.

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

I did suggest changing the mouse earlier. Anyway, thanks for letting us know what fixed it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 27 December 2005 - 06:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users