Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AIO Software trying to install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:46 AM

My neighbor is having some problems on her computer. Each time the computer starts up, it says, "windows installer prepaing to istall". After a few minutes another box come up which says, "please wait while windows configures AIO software". After waiting for quite some time, it then says "The software you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". It is trying to install from this path, "C:\hp\tmp\sc\CDB\setup\aio\software" which evidently is the wrong path. She does not have any idea why this problem would start. I doubt there would be any new update to her printer after 5 or 6 years that would be trying to install itself. However, on one occassion, as I as turning off the computer, I did see where it said, update from HPAgent-running, which I though was strange. If this is an update trying to install itself, how could I find the update to direct it to the right path, or get rid of it? She does have an HP printer. She said this problem started about two weeks ago. She has not deleted anything on her computer. She is running windows XP with SP3 on a HP Pavilion computer which is approximately 5 to 6 years old. Has anyone ever had a similar problems, or have any idea what I can do to eliminate this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Coach

Computer Coach

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:11 AM

Hi Wayne

Firstly, does her printer work fine, with no issues? If it does then you can go to Regedit and check if the program is being started on startup

the key to find this is

HKEY Local Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Check that its not in the above key, if so then I would remove it, but only remove it if the printer and all the necessary software works fine

Regards

Kish

Edited by Computer Coach, 23 March 2011 - 06:11 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:42 AM

First, there's no reason to edit the registry directly to manage startup items. A simple app like Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel is all you need (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

Second, you can re-run the hp all in one installer and make sure it is correctly installed.

#4 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Kish, I am sorry I left that information out. Yes! she says her printer works fine. I set the printer up for her last year. I, along with an HP Technician, worked on this for several days to get everything to work right. We finally got it to work properly after a considerable period of time. My neighbor advised it has worked fine every since I installed the printer software. I can't understand how this could happen as she said she has not installed any new software, not has she deleted anything. I don't have any idea where to look for that file, or piece of software, that is trying to load on every start up. To tell you the truth, with the problem I had in setting that printer up last year, I would hate to start over again from scratch. I have never had any trouble setting up HP printers before until this one. In fact I currently have two HP printers. I just need to know where this particle file is located so I can point the installer to that path to install it, Or possible delete it, or take it out of the startup location.

Thanks for the link, Allan.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:36 AM

First, there's no reason to edit the registry directly to manage startup items. A simple app like Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel is all you need (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

You could also try insertin the HP printer cd and browse to that drive when prompted.

You mentioned that you and an HP tech worked to get the printer working for several days.
I find this extremely odd. What was the situation and what happened?
Im curious about that. HP software typically is pretty straight forward.

If all else fails, completely uninstall the HP printer drivers and all apps.
Then disconnect the USB cable from either the back of the printer or computer (whichever is easier) and reboot.
Then reinstall the printer & plug the USB cable in when prompted.

Edited by Eyesee, 23 March 2011 - 12:07 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

eyesee, I have already tried directing the install path to the printer cd. That did not work. I am going to check in the startup areas before taking on the uninstall, and reinstall route. I'll check in the msconfig, and the startup folder before going to the registry. I really do not want to uninstall and reinstall. I had too much problem with that last year. I'll only do this as a last resort. Assuming, that an automatic update did try to load, and for some reason it could not, I wonder where the update would go to? Do you think it would go into one of the startup areas. I am a lost on this one. I will be going back to work on this computer later. I told the owner to get another 1 MB memory card before I would do any more work on it. It currently only has 512 MB of Memory. This is definately not enough memory. Thanks.

#8 Computer Coach

Computer Coach

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:35 AM

Hi Allan

I always go into the Registry....

thanks for the link, its a cool utility, I never knew about that

Regards

Kish

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hi Allan

I always go into the Registry....

Kish

Regardless, there are at least 4 locations to check, not one. Apps such as Startup Control Panel put everything right in front of you. And they make modifications easy to reverse since it's a simple matter of unchecking or checking an item.

#10 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

I went into the registry and removed the HPudate.exe, but I am still having the same problem. I checked in the startup location for the software. I did not have any luck there either. What confuses me if the fact the windows installer says is is going to install the "AIO Software" but it it cannot find the location to install the program. It is trying to install fro this path; C:\hp\temp\src\CDB\setup\aio\software. I even put the original HP disc in and directed it toward that path, but I did not have any luck. If it was my computer I would uninstall and reinstall again, but after I had spent parts of 3 or 4 last year in getting this printer software installed correctly, the owner of the computer is reluctant to do that again. What I don't understand is when it says the "AIO Software is bing installed" I don't know whether this means that the complete driver for this printer is trying to be installed, or just a particular file. I take it to mean the complete driver, but everything on the printer appears to be in good working order. I have been fussing with this computer for about three days now trying this and other things, of course, so I am going to take a rain check from it for a while. Thanks to everyone for all the help. By the way, I also ran Spybot Search and Destroy and the latest version of Lavasoft's Ad-aware. It found a few things, but it did not help in the problem I am trying to fix.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

Sometimes getting away from it for a bit is a good idea.
Might give you a different perspective on things if you take a break from it for a bit.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

eyesee, I agree with you. I have decided to do just that, My mind needs a rest after all that work. Ha. If it was my computer, I would most likely do the uninstall, and reinstall of the printer software. Of curse after all that work we did last year in getting it properly installed, I can understand how she feels. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users