Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Microsoft Security Essentials Anti Virus good?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NutCrack

NutCrack

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:12 AM

Hi, I was wondering if Microsoft Security Essentials is a good anti virus program. I would appreciate suggestions for an alternative program. Lastly, does it run on Linux? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:00 AM

As per my opinion, MSE works ok but I prefer avast! free.
MSE does not run on Linux. Why would Microsoft release something that runs on Linux ? LOL
On Linux you normally do not need any antivirus. But if you want, you can use the ClamAntivirus, avast! or BitDefender for Unices on Linux.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

This page provides a brief overview of features and related security links. MSE Support provides several How-to videos for installing, scanning and addressing a detected threat. MSE was originally developed as a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare and was aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Reviews:
Before installation, Microsoft Security Essentials checks for a validated copy of Windows and will disable Windows Defender if installed since MSE provides protects against spyware. You also need to uninstall all other "Memory Resident" anti-virus applications before you can install MSE. See Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials for more information.

Like Romeo29, I too prefer avast!.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Eddieshoe

Eddieshoe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

From Wikipedia.org:
"In February 2010, a rogue security software package calling itself "Security Essentials 2010" appeared on the Internet. This malware, designated TrojanDownloader:Win32/Fakeinit, bears no resemblance to Microsoft Security Essentials except for the name.[40][41] This malware reappeared again in November 2010, this time calling itself "Microsoft Security Essentials 2011".

The rogue software features a persistent pop-up and prevents access to any sites on a browser address bar. There is a fix listed in bleepingcomputer.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users