Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computers Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 YourSweet666

YourSweet666

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:20 AM

I had just began building my first computer and i have everything in, everything connected and when i went to boot up the fans spin for about a second then cut out and stop spinning. I replaced the power supply and the problem still persists. can anyone give me an idea as to what might be wrong. it would be greatly greatly apreaciated

thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:27 AM

Sometimes poor connections can cause a system to fail. Remove all the cards (PCI, PCIe, PCIx, AGP) and the memory modules then reinstall them checking closely that they are seated properly. I know this sounds simple, but it happens to most who work on computers.

Good luck and Happy New Year.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 YourSweet666

YourSweet666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:29 AM

thanks, im going to go give that a shot, ill let you know how it turns out

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

Excellent. And congrat on taking the leap and doing it yourself. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:48 AM

As a side note please check between the CPU and the heatsink and be sure thereis not one of those stick on inventory tags on the cpu. Not to be confused with a thermal tape pad; that belongs there.
Unfortunetly you will have to replace the thermal pad or paste if you do this, and a small bit of thermal compund goes a long way.

I dont know what it is but clerks just cant seem to resist that flat surface to put their inventory sticker on. It will act as a heat shield and your heatsink wont transfer heat properly.

#6 YourSweet666

YourSweet666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:39 AM

none of that stuff worked, i took the computer apart at least 3 times and put it back together, the only thing i could imagine is that one of the jumpers isnt in the right spot. could that be the problem? also i figured id mention that i have to turn the power supply off then on before i can get the fans to spin again. and one more thing there is this green, black, and blue 3 pronged male connector coming from the front of my case and it dosent fit into any of the power jacks and i have no idea where it belongs.

Edited by YourSweet666, 28 December 2005 - 08:42 AM.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

Dear 666,

This really sounds like a video card problem or ram. This is what I want you to do, look at your video card and check if it is seated right.

AGP card connectors have a clip on the right side on the motherboard. Make sure it is clipped in.

Also, give us the motherboard, video card, ram, CPU you are using. I just want to check compatibility.

This has happened to all of us more than once. We will find the problem! :thumbsup:

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#8 YourSweet666

YourSweet666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:50 AM

Ok the motherboard is an ASUS P4S800D-X
Video card- Sapphire ATI Radion 9800 SE Edition
and the ram is PQI MD3412 VOE 512MB DDR-333

everything is seated correctly as far as i can tell, ive taken them out and made sure they snapped into place so i think they are seated correctly

also as a side note i have a 410w power supply, idk if something isnt geting enough power or anything like that

Edited by YourSweet666, 29 December 2005 - 10:52 AM.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:38 AM

# pqi POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered System Memory Model MD3412UOE - Retail

Cas Latency: 2.5
Manufacturer Warranty: Lifetime
Voltage: 2.5V
# Model #: MD3412UOE
# Item #: N82E16820141167

Is this the one? I couldn't find a VOE ...

and the mobo ... is this the one?

* REFURBISHED: ASUS P4S800D-X Socket 478 SIS 655FX ATX Intel Motherboard - OEM
(limit 2 per customer)

AGP Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 Prescott/Celeron D
DDR Standard: DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Dual Channel Supported: Yes
FSB: 800/533MHz
Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB
Number of DDR Slots: 4x 184pin DDR
PCI Express x16: None
South Bridge: SIS 964
Supported CPU Technologies: Hyper-Threading Technology
* Model #: P4S800D-X
* Item #: N82E16813131527R
* In Stock

Items above found at newegg, just trying to get details to study. Could be a problem with the RAM.

Edited by phawgg, 29 December 2005 - 11:43 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 YourSweet666

YourSweet666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:34 PM

i got it to work, as it turns out im a friggin idiot and forgot to put the little brass screws into the case and the motherboard was grounding out from the metal on the case, soo yeah thanx for the help everyone

#11 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:10 PM

Dear 666,

We all make mistakes, glad you got it working. I want you to check something for me now that it is up and running.

Go to the control panel and click System Icon. Now check your ram to see if it is the same as you installed. Your mother board says it's a 400 dual 3200 DDR and you are using 333 /2700 DDR. I didn't think you could do that.

In the future you may want to upgrade to the 400/3200 Ram for speed increase. Unless we got the ram/mother board wrong.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users