Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

constant redirects, blank pages, etc....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jetski247

jetski247

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

at my home, i get constant redirects over and over again on all computers (4 laptops and 1 desktop) even brought my laptop home from work which worked fine at work but instantly got redirects at home. i've done some reading of others with similar problems on here and don't want to do anything without a professionals direction. combofix seemed to be the solution but not knowing much about computers............well, thats why i'm here. and all you computer volunteers, give yourself a pat on the back, i can't imagine how many hours you must put in, yall' need a tip jar to click on.

please be very patient with me since i know very little about computers and after reading several posts, i have no idea of some of the things that are being asked.

thanks!!

Edited by Budapest, 23 March 2011 - 01:54 AM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hello, Please do these,post the logs and update me.
Please,ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. If needed we will ask and direct you.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Run TFC by OT (Temp File Cleaner)
Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jetski247

jetski247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

the tdsskiller.exe found nothing.

the tfc ot found nothing either.

i turned my webroot antivirus in gamer mode "on" so it would be off......i can't see any other way to turn it off.

the mbam found one object, here is the report, thanks.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6146

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

3/23/2011 9:27:30 PM
mbam-log-2011-03-23 (21-27-30).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 162079
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowSearch (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

thank you and pls let me know what to do next.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

Appears your router is infected.
First if there are other machines on this router they need to install and update MBAM,DO NOT run yet. You now need to disconnect from the internet. Then scan each PC then reset the router.

Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds). If you don?t know the router's default password, you can look it up HERE.
Note: After resetting your router, it is important to set a non-default password, and if possible, username, on the router. This will assist in eliminating the possibility of the router being hijacked again.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jetski247

jetski247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

i tried resetting the router a few days ago but it did nothing but did not run mbam at the time, i have two room mates that have laptops as well that i will have to install mbam on and run them after i disconnect from the internet. i think one of them changed the user name and password a few months ago so i'll have to check and report back, thank you very much.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

OK, we'll leave this until you come back.

#7 jetski247

jetski247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

my room mates did not want to install anything on they're computers and they said that they don't get redirects after installing firefox. i use firefox but still get new windows all the time.

anyway, can i still reset the router and change the password?
will my room mates need to change the password on they're computer?
i went into my belkin router and security mode was disabled.

they seemed to fix their laptops with firefox and changing some setting in the options.

thanks for the help.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

They will just need to know the new password.

#9 jetski247

jetski247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:13 AM

seems my computer has rid itself of the constant redirects after i did all the above mentioned except for resetting the password. I have not done this yet but after i reset the router after i cleaned my computer, i have not had any redirects yet!! Thank you guys very much and i have referenced this site to all my friends even though you guys are probably over loaded as it is. many thanks to you guys for all of your hard work and dedication to helping people like me out. thank you boopme for your time and very detailed help.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

You're very welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users