Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect Virus & cannot d/l DDS to create log

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mosickey

mosickey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hi -

I've seen y'all work miracles and am hoping you can help me.

I'm running MS XP Media Center Edition, v2002, SP3
I've got McAfee and MS Security Essentials running and regularly run MBAM and SAS

In the past few days, I've been hit with a google redirect virus and suddenly had issues with MS Auto Update. None of the above caught it, in either regular or safe modes. Via some effort with MS's sites, I got the auto-update working again (I think).

I finally found a pair of hidden drivers with gibberish names, uninstalled one in safe mode, it went away and then went to work on the other. It came back after safemode uninstall but appears to be gone via disable. I never did find files associated with these in the windows/system32/drivers directory.

That "seems" to have helped with the redirects.

Long ago on this box, I had a tdss rootkit issue (fixed with Kaspersky tdss killer, mbam, and sas) that was associated with fake internet security suite (don't recall which bogus one this was).

Being dubious, I decided to let the pros here take a look and was in the process of getting the logs to post. Here is where things became very alarming again.

Successfully got defogger going.

But I cannot seem to download the DDS.scr or DDS.pif from the links. McAfee or something claiming to be McAfee states that DDS was a trojan call Artemis and quarantines it.

This suggests to me that I really need your help.

Can I download to a flash drive and copy to the desktop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mosickey

mosickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Additionally - if it helps, the gibberish non Plug and Play driver names were:
Mpksl7412b105
Mpksla0234b8f

The box is disconnected from the net now and not surprisingly still not finding any malware with either MBAM or SAS

I'll patiently now wait for some guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users