Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Christianity vs evolution, version "the understanding"

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

I don't understand why many people in Christianity do not believe in evolution. Personally, I do not see how the two conflict. For example, you can believe that God created everything in the beginning, and that evolution, minor and/or micro, has occurred since then.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Those who believe in evolution; that every thing started out a one celled something and then evolved through millions or billions of years into plants and animals that are on earth today. Humans being one of the animals. Why is so hard to believe what God said. He created us in His image. I was created. If we evolved from monkeys, why are their still monkeys? The monkeys that are still here must be very mad they missed the evolution train and can't be humans.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

Because we didn't evolve from monkeys, and that is not what the theory of evolution is about. That's like saying "If we evolved from children, why are there still children". The theory of evolution states that we all (meaning all living things) share a common ancestor. That's it.

Edited by groovicus, 26 March 2011 - 05:25 PM.
grammar

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

The stories in the bible may not be true but they do give a important message. For this, the story would be Adam and Eve.

Edited by killerx525, 26 March 2011 - 05:11 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

What?? Are you trying to say that the bible may not be true, but the story of Adam and Eve is? And this is important how?

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

Maybe i should of worded the last sentence a bit better. What i meant is the story Adam and Eve is a interpretation of the beginning but i'm pretty sure there is a meaning behind it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

Just for sake of discussion, what do you suppose that meaning might be, 'cause I could just as easily say that there is no meaning behind it. No room for discussion really, is there?

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

The story has meaning to it but i just can't remember what that meaning is :wacko:

>Michael 

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

Speaking as one who has actually read the story of Adam and Eve as related in the King James Bible, I cannot fathom what message would be hidden in it except that its author couldn't keep his story straight.

Evolution and creationism are, in my mind, mutually antagonistic; one is credible while the other is incredible, they cannot honestly coexist in ones mind as equally valid.

It seems fairly obvious to me that if one were to believe that the evolution of species were guided by an external intelligence then one would be forced to admit that the intelligence in question is imperfect and that its power was not absolute. Ideas which are diametrically opposed to those commonly held in Abrahamic faiths.

The same facts which would force a creationist to admit the imperfection of God also force the evolutionist to discredit the existence of a god altogether. Imperfections and errors abound in the living world. Are we to believe that a perfect deity intentionally created imperfection? That would be malicious. Are we to believe that this deity could not create perfection? Then why call it a god?

#10 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:11 AM

The only message I get from the Adam and Eve story is - 'if you learn more than I say you can(I being God), you will be punished'.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

I think the message has to do with the snake tempting Eve to eat the apple or something like that.

>Michael 

#12 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

Evolution and creationism

i believe in these two

cuz You can't deny evolution and you can't deny the existence of God

evolution is scientifically Proofed there's a lot of clues about it

creationism :
i believe in it too
cuz i don't think that all this world created by just chance 1/10000000000
it must be something or someone done it

i saw This Documentary Called "Through the worm hole with Morgen freeman "

That discussed the idea
OF if god is out there, what is God ? or who is God ?

Really Great Documentary

" what if we are a computer simulation and God is a programmer :S"

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

" what if we are a computer simulation and God is a programmer :S"

Or like I saw in a signature of a member at another forum.

God is a kid with his own Ant Farm.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

The question Why did God created Us answers this question

is it for His amusement ??

OR we have a Role in a bigger plan of his ???

:S

what if we are sims in playstation 13 ??? :S

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:48 PM

And here is me, denying the existence of God (so clearly your conjecture is incorrect)

You do understand that evolution and creationism are exact opposites? All evidence thus far supports evolution, but that does not mean it has been proven. By the way, the process of evolution, and the theory of evolution are two different things. There is no credible evidence that refutes it. That is how science works. Creationism is not science. Creationism is a belief that life was created by supernatural beings, and fundamentalists turn to the bible as evidence of intelligent design. That clearly is not science since there is no evidence to support it at all, just a belief that there is no way that billions of years of adaptation by organisms can result in the life we see around us. While evolution supports exactly that, Creationism does nothing to refute it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users