Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Expert - LCD/VIDEO

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zcom2011

zcom2011

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hi, I replaced a LCD panel in a "HP G50-113CA" laptop. After install I booted the computer and noticed from bios start to when Vista loaded that everything is displayed to the left like 4:3, checked resolution and was set at highest 1024x768 not 1280x800. Reinstalled video drivers and no luck, can't get this computer to change monitor from "generic 1024x768". Tried listing "all modes" and again no luck. Factory restore = no go! I ended up wiping the HD and installing Windows 7(clean), same thing with Windows 7 generic drivers, updated all drivers and same thing again. Even tried to force via registry, no luck. I had a live CD of Puppy Linux, and at this point was thinking it was the new LCD panel. Nope! Once Linux is loaded I get proper full screen @1280x800 resolution without doing anything!! All working in Linux but I need windows on this laptop. Any ideas? Been in a loop too long with this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

welcome to bc.

try completely uninstalling the driver for the video and reboot.

then go to device manager and scan for new hardware. does it detect anything?

if so try and get the right driver from windows update.

it seems like a software thing if it works in linux fine.

#3 zcom2011

zcom2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Thrillhouse, tried that in both Vista and now once again in Win7 - no go! At computers a LOOOONG time and just can't figure out a way around this. It is software/driver issue but you would think either the generic MS or better again latest Intel driver would work. On Puppy Linux the working driver is "Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)".

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

right, for the chipset, for the display, according to hp, you need and nvidia driver:

click here
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3818836&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

then go to drivers and software and get the chipset driver and video driver for your os, maybe that will work.

#5 zcom2011

zcom2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

Just tried nvidia drivers for the sake of it(nvidia setup could not detect/locate drivers for this.....), 100% Intel and have updated via HP website. Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family is the recommend one from HP.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:11 AM

What a PITA.

do you have 64 bit OS? That could be a problem.

Regardless, try this:

go into device manager yet again, double click the display and choose update driver.

Choose browse my computer and navigate to the correct driver from the nvidia install folder and try to install manually that way. I hope it works for you. I know I have had this problem before and am racking my brain trying to think of what works, hopefully this is it.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:49 AM

I would think that what needs to be addressed here is the LCD driver not the video. It apparently is not reporting correctly to Windows and/or Windows does not have the right inf file for that monitor.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#8 zcom2011

zcom2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

I would think that what needs to be addressed here is the LCD driver not the video. It apparently is not reporting correctly to Windows and/or Windows does not have the right inf file for that monitor.

Updating via folder - no luck. No 64bit or Nvidia. Thinking it is inf as Baltboy mentioned. Could also be different pin outs used in Puppy Linux driver and possible cable seating issue? Frustrating indeed, lol!

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

If the cable wasnt in right it woukd not work in linux either so i think we can count that out. Also the controller for lcd sends the signal out to the lcd so once again I would think that if it works in linux it should be fine in windows. Was this a direct part replacement i.e. it has the same part number?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#10 zcom2011

zcom2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Not OEM but a generic G50 replacement (http://www.batterysupport.com/hp-g50-screen-p-123995.html). Original was glossy @1280x800 same as one purchased.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users