Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random freezing, possible hardware failure?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shankitup

shankitup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

This is a recent problem and i have not had issues with my laptop before a couple of days ago when this all started

My specs are
Toshiba satellite P300
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, 512 Mb
RAM: 3035 Mb
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Satellite P300

Basically my laptop will randomly freeze for about 5-10 seconds then continue as normal every 2 or 3 minutes. It freezes completely randomly whether im running programs or not. During the freezes i am still able to move the mouse but it just appears to be loading and once the freeze is over everything returns to normal.
There has also not been any slow down of the laptop in terms of performance before or after the freeze.

The laptops about 2 years old now and I would say i use my laptop alot for general use averaging around 8 hours a day. I only game around 8 hours over the course of a week. I monitor my laptop temperatures using speedfan and it is always between 40-60 during general use, however during gaming it can measure temperatures of around 70-90 but i always let it cool down if it goes around 80 for to long.

I have used Avg and malwarebytes which both reported nothing.
I have attempted several system restores at different dates but all are unable to complete and either freeze or hang not progressing further.
I run a disk and registry cleaner + defrag on a weekly basis, i also use ccleaner almost daily.
I have also run hcidesign memtest which reported nothing.
I am able to boot up in safe mode with networking without experiencing any freeze ups.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

I'd check the hard drive first, to eliminate it as a possibility. One of the biggest causes of slow downs are failing hard drives -- outside of excess programs loading up... which doesn't sound like the issue here.

You can schedule a check disk by going to:

1) "My Computer" then right clicking your main drive.
2) Go to properties.
3) Click the tools tab.
4) Click "Check Now" under error checking.
5) Check all boxes under "Check disk options".

The check disk will be scheduled upon restart of your computer. Restart to run the check disk and write down the results.

If you see any "bad sectors" or "bad clusters", this could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

(It could also be disk thrashing if memory is going bad and the paging file is having problems, but lets start with the hard drive first).

Edited by Suicide King, 22 March 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#3 shankitup

shankitup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the relpy.

After running the disk check on my c: drive it reported 4 bad file records processed and it proceeded to fix them in stage 2. It said something about correcting minor file name errors.

Apart from those 4 errors it didnt report anything else wrong.

What would you advise i do next

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users