Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete Failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Ok, background info: computer was hitting 90C idle so I sprayed it out, restarted and it would blue screen on load. I ran a chkdsk /r and got back into windows with these issues:

Windows Installer for drivers will not start, error is Windows Installer could not be started.
InstallShield for other drivers will not start, error is RPC server could not be found.
Skype will not start, same error as above.
MagicISO will not start, cannot create taskbar icon.
Taskbar is dragged all the way down and cannot be dragged up, windows key does not open start menu.
DxDiag shows missing drivers for the SM bus, wireless Adapter and ethernet adapter, along with missing information for the motherboard, the System Manufacturer and BIOS are both N/A, along with the other system thing.
Task Manager shows no user names for any of the processes running besides the System Process where the user name is SYSTEM.
No Internet connections exist in Network Connections.

Here's the kicker, Linux works almost perfectly on the same hard drive, with the exception of torrenting which instantly freezes the computer.

Reformatting is the main idea here, but I need a guarantee that this is not an issue with hardware besides the hard drive.

EDIT:

One more issue, I looked up RPC and I saw something about the service and all that so I went into the services menu and saw. quite literally. nothing.

EDIT 2: lshw in linux shows the motherboard just fine, not sure if that means anything.

EDIT 3: System Restore gives th error: System Restore cannot protect your computer. Please restart and run System Restore Again.
Defrag opens but the buttons do nothing.

okay, Issue is the RPC, I can't start it manually and it controls basically everything.

Edited by sausage, 22 March 2011 - 08:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

Well, with so many different issues there is no guarantee for anything.

First of all, running CPU at 90C could have caused some serious damage to the processor.
Since Linux runs, hopefully not.
Has the overheating issue been resolved?

Before you do anything else, I'd....

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps HERE

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

Ok, so I ran a repair through my XP cd which I miraculously found in my box of junk under my desk (how it got there I have no idea) and it fixed it completely with a few loose ends. MagicISO says it needs to be reinstalled, not too hard, Daemon Tools doesn't recognize the computer as higher than windows 2000, and MOM.exe cant find it's entry point at mscoree.dll (Iwas given a similar error during the repair of ngen.exe unable to find an entry point at the same location, also, .NET framework doesn't enjoy running, a reinstall of that should fix it though.

Still have absolutely no idea what went wrong in the first place.

EDIT: I really hope it isn't the hard drive, just got a new one about a year ago. Gonna check it now, might as well right?

Edited by sausage, 22 March 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

Has the overheating issue been resolved?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

Not officially, this computer has always overheated, just never when underclocked to 1.33GHz from 2GHz. I fixed it when I have it underclocked but it still overheats at full potential. (when at load that is)

EDIT: Hard Drive Diagnostic says it passed :)

EDIT 2: Okay, a couple new issues which I think are caused by .NET

Google Chrome doesn't download and ngen.exe still cant find entry point when I try and reinstall .net.

Edited by sausage, 22 March 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

Well, if I were you, I'd solve overheating issue before you do anything else.

My Website

#7 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

You have no idea how hard I have tried to, ever since i've gotten the computer I've been looking for ways to fix it, underclocking's my way of compensating.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:25 PM

Is the computer clean inside?
Did you try to reapply thermal paste?

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users