Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer shows 248GB free of 465 GB, but only 26 GB of files visible inside

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hagbag69

hagbag69

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

Hi all

My 2nd hard drive is going down the pan, making the occasional click and asking if I want to scan and repair whenever I boot. It's a Samsung 500 GB Sata, showing (in Windows Explorer) 248 GB free of 465 GB, making 223 GB of data on it, but all I can access amounts to 26 GB - is there anything I can do to access the other 197 GB and copy it to a healthy drive?

I've pulled off all the raw data with PhotoRec, but even that only saved 23.6 GB but of course I've lost all the file names. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance!
Stu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

There are several programs that give you access to files that are on a hard drive, as long as the sectors are not so badly damaged to recover them from.

You can use UBUNTU's live CD, you can boot to the disk if you need to, sometimes it is easier doing it that way, the Live CD does NOT have to be installed, it is like a portable operating system.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Another program I found useful is EASEUS Partition Master. The home user version is FREE and fully functional.

Here is the web site http://www.partition-tool.com/

The EASEUS Partition Master has a lot of useful tools and menus, you'll have to check it out.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users