Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winkey/ctrl-esc not working

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

(vista home premium 32bit) (laptop)
a short while ago, as I went to delete a file, explorer spazzed out. flickering, greyouts, all kinds of stuff in the wrong place. as I went to bite the "this machine doesn't want to boot into windows" bullet, I managed to locate the dialogue box from that attempt at deletion, which was out of sorts, and completed the deed. the spazzing stopped. but the start menu suddenly consisted solely of "default programs" and "windows update", and the winkey stopped working altogether. so, I tracked down taskmanager in a windows explorer instance, and used it to shoot the shaggy explorer.EXE, and run a new instance. got the start menu back.

but the windows key continued to not work. ctrl-esc didn't either. for a lark, I opened up a game I have that uses the winkey to bring up a menu.... it worked. alt-tabbed out, the winkey gets me the start menu like it should. BUT. winkey shortcuts (wk-e, wk-r, wk-d, and all that jazz) still don't work, nor does ctrl-esc.

since this laptop currently will make me suffer greatly to get it booted back up, does anyone have suggestions on fixing the windows key without rebooting?

*edit*
I see this has been moved to "am I infected?". I'd like to point out that in the time since this was originally posted I've done scans with avast and mbam, and come up clean in both. The original intention of this post was hoping to find out what controls the winkey, along the way of trying to fix this without a reboot, which, as I've stated, has an extremely high chance of going badly. like, "30+ attempts to get booted to windows" badly. the machine runs while it's up, but doesn't want to GET up, and the general suggestions I've been getting involve either potential hardware failures, or vista itself needing to be replaced. and after my external HDD's failure, wherein it was working but occasionally making an off noise, but then it moved to the TK TK TK TK of death after being powered down and restarted... I'd rather not take the chances of this thing crapping out altogether. I'm flat broke for the forseeable future; replacing it isn't an option.

Edited by ZT-repairseek, 23 March 2011 - 10:11 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users