Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Question Re Multiple Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

Allan did wrote:

you cannot do that unless both systems are 100% identical. You'll need to reinstall the OS after making the switch.

In fact is that logical, but now have I a question, a question what is interesting for all, I suppose:

Example: You have 2 HD.'s in your Computer with calling names: C:\> and D:\>
On C:\> have you the Os Windows Xp, on D:\> have you installed the Os Windows 7 .
Both oses have a boot up partition.
You turn the machine on, now is my question in these: What will be happen now.?
Boot the system up with the Os on C:\> or get you a conflict through the other Os.?

:whistle:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

I really don't want to take this thread off topic by getting involved in a hypothetical situation. But to answer your question, the system will boot to the active partition's MBR and bootloader.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

<<...now is my question in these: What will be happen now.?>>

That's easy, so I'll try it :).

The fact that each hard drive has a boot partition and a different O/S...is meaningless, in a sense.

If both O/Ses are Windows and the system is relying on Windows boot files to determine which O/S to boot into...it will go by which those files. Windows will look at the drive designated as the boot drive in the BIOS (first), then the boot files on said drive.

If each O/S is installed individually, with no intention of a dual-boot...the boot files will reflect only one option. Windows will only try to boot into the hard drive which is the option selected in the BIOS. The fact that there are two drives...makes no difference, since only one is selected as the first option in the BIOS. I suppose that if that drive becomes defunct, then the other drive would be selected...or if the other drive is selected in the BIOS, the system would try to boot into it. But the BIOS options point the way initially for the system.

If the two O/Ses were intended to be used as a dual-boot, either by modifying the Windows boot files or the use of a 3d-party tool, (such as EasyBCD or GRUB)...then the system user will have the option of determining which O/S to boot into. The Windows files will reflect a dual-boot and the screen will show both O/Ses as a choice, with one of the two designated as the default option. The user can change this option at any time.

Some persons don't understand this about the drive letters...any system that Windows boots into will always be considered C: by Windows, once the user is in Windows. The other O/S automatically should be seen as the next available drive letter...unless the user has been fiddling with drive letters.

I have a dual-boot on this system...XP on one partition, Win 7 on next partition, same drive. When I boot into either O/S...it becomes C: and the other becomes E (optical drive takes D:). There can only be one C: active/open at any one time...and whichever I boot into...is it.

Sooo...to answer your question...it all depends on the boot options which a given user has chosen to use.

I could have 5 hard drives with a different O/S installed on each...that would present no problem at all to Windows or whichever bootloader I chose to use. There would be no confusion because the boot files tell the system which ones are bootable...and which one to boot into.

Louis

#4 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for the explain, Hamluis.
Your information is very useful.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

If you have 2 OS's installed separately on 2 Hard Drives, and each OS has it's own bootloader, Whichever hard Drive is set in the BIOS as the boot priority will always boot automatically unless you select the other to boot. Doesn't matter what the OS's are, I've had to use this method before when dealing with PC's with Restore software on them to install Linux before. Not pretty but it works.

Posted Image

#6 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

Roger.
So it is not needed, that the user set the jumper on slave.?
Because when the slave drive is not as bootable drive in the bios, than it will only work as slave and won't boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users