Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound out of subwoofer.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Synaxis

Synaxis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

I got a new computer in August of 2010. Am using speakers from my old computer with it - they're maybe about 4-5 years old, but they work fine. I don't know the model, only that they're made by Dell and consist of two side speakers and a subwoofer, all connected to one poirt. This was no problem. My computer and the speakers worked harmoniously for a good while up until a couple weeks ago.

The speakers came unplugged so I plugged them back in, and then for a few days afterward the sound would randomly cut completely out. If I fiddled with settings or restarted the computer it would come back. The subwoofer no longer emits sound though, and that's a problem. I can adjust the bass on the subwoofer and the bass changes - in the side speakers. The two side speakers are picking up all the low-frequency sound that the subwoofer is supposed to be. I have no idea why, I didn't change any settings. The audio driver is up to date and the settings in the Realtek HD Manager are all the same as they've always been. If I test the speakers from there, the subwoofer does emit a tone. If I test the speakers in Windows' playback devices configuration, the subwoofer also emits a tone. It just won't pick up any sound anywhere else.

I thought it was the speakers. I was ready to get new ones. My dad, however, insisted that I try the speakers on the old computer and play some music or something, so I did - and the subwoofer picked up and played low-frequency sound as it was meant to do. It sounded fabulous. He then insisted on having the audio card replaced since the computer was still under warranty and that was CLEARLY the problem. The tech just left so I came in to check the sound and to no great surprise of mine, the subwoofer still does not pick up sound. The bass that used to come out of the subwoofer still comes out of the side speakers.

If I disable the subwoofer from the Windows playback device or the Realtek HD manager, the bass stops coming out of the side speakers - it doesn't come out of anywhere. The computer knows there's a subwoofer there, it's just not sending sound to it.

halp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

O wow

There seems to be something "faulty" here :huh:

If you plug it in and it works intermittently then I believe there might be a problem with the acutal cable going to the sub.

It happened to mine :angry:

Anyways can you plug the jack into a Ipod or MP3 and give it a shot? :P

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:18 AM

If you plug it in and it works intermittently then I believe there might be a problem with the acutal cable going to the sub.

It happened to mine

Anyways can you plug the jack into a Ipod or MP3 and give it a shot?

He has tried that, by plugging into another computer, with success.

The new sound card rules out the bad old one...

The wire is always suspect, they become picky as to what angle a bend in the wire can be for it to play correctly, after being damaged...i have headphones like that..perhaps u got lucky with the other computer. Try moving the cords around, pinching it slightly around the base of the headphone jack. turning it around. You will notice what i mean if that is your problem, the sound will come in an out.

I dont know what would be wrong in the computer, you seem to have checked everything, but take a look into the device manager and see if anything is wrong there.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 24 March 2011 - 06:18 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users