Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem seems impossible to fix?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 frustratedred

frustratedred

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:06 AM

I have a Gateway Laptop that is 5 years old. I rarely use it, but like to be able to use it outside or in bed when I'm bedridden (disabled). For 3 months now I cannot got on line with it. My desktop works fine, which is connected to a wireless Netgear router from BrightHouse (roadrunner). They've been to the house 10 times and successfully get it up and running, but if I shut it down for and hour or more the same thing happens. I can't get on line with a message that I have limmited or no connectivity. It seems to have something to do with loosing my network key and IP address. Since this is from Bright House I assumed they could fix it. I even paid $170 to a tech support team who got it up and running only to loose the connection again a few hours later. There must be a solution for this problem, I just can't find anyone who can fix it. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

<<They've been to the house 10 times and successfully get it up and running, but if I shut it down for and hour or more the same thing happens.>>

Have you asked...what the problem was...when you paid to have it serviced?

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Also, have you checked the system for viruses and spyware?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 frustratedred

frustratedred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

When I paid the $170 and he said it was fixed, he spent so much time with me on the phone (5 hrs.)that I thought finally it was fixed. Never asked. How do I check for a virus if I can't get online? I have and AVG disk that I also paid for and installed it on my desktop, but my Laptop won't take it, it says that it's an old version and I need to go to their site to upgrade it, but I can't get on line with the laptop. I hate to take it to Best Buy, they always say (from past experiences with other problems) that it has to be brought back to factory with the restore disk and they charge $100 at least. Thank you.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

What a rip off!!
Especially when you can get WAY better help for free here!!
We have some very good minds on this forum. Best there is as far as I am concerned.

How are you getting online now (to post this I mean)?

Whats the model number of the Gateway?

#6 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

You must be online to post. Why can't you download the program you want for protection>burn it to disk then install it on the lame computer?

Edited by bicycle bill, 22 March 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

Thats where I was going with this.

Frustradedred may be using a cell phone or some other device that may not have a way to transfer a program to the system with issues.

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

5 years old box implies, to me, XP.
So is this Windows XP?

Bunch of things come to mind, mostly related to "...but if I shut it down for and hour or more the same thing happens. I can't get on line with a message that I have limmited or no connectivity. It seems to have something to do with loosing my network key and IP address"

Loss of DHCP connection between the computer and the router
> check Network properties of the TCP/IP - does it have automatic DHCP, it should, and the DHCP server should be your internal IP of the router. Probably something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

Loss of DNS connections between the router and the ISP servers
> make sure the correct DNS servers of RoadRunner or, much better, OpenDNS servers are listed in the router (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220)
> make sure the same DNS servers are listed in the TCP/IP properties

Router timeout if idle (probably no issue here since the desktop is ok)
> check, in the router interface, if there is something about timeout. Words such as stay connected always, etc. It could be when the router times out all connections are lost.

If you use a firewall of any kind, make sure that both the router and the DNS servers are set as trusted. If you don't use a firewall you should :)

I don't know what you mean by the "network key". Do you mean the password your ISP gave you or do you mean the key needed between your computer and the router for the security of the wireless connection?
> recheck the properties of the wireless connection are ok, including all above

When you do get connected to the router, collect the information from the computer which might help someone here to help you. Like this:
Start, Run, type cmd, press enter
on the black window, type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and with a space before /all, and press enter. Copy what you see and paste here.
When things are ok, you should be able to see your internal IP, as well as the data about DHCP and DNS I'm suggesting we need to see.
When things are broken, the IP address will be 169.x.x.x which Windows issues if it can't renew your address.

#9 frustratedred

frustratedred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:16 AM

Thanks so much for all the reply's, I really appreciate it. I know there must be a solution, I just seem to be getting in touch with the wrong people. It sounds like I can get some excellent help here though. My Gateway laptop is the problem. I can get on line with my desktop without a problem though. The laptop is model MX3414 with Windows XP. I went to Gateway support and the phone number listed hooked me up to iyogi tech support which is the company that charged me $169.99. I'm going to see how far I get trying the solutions suggest here and I'll let you know. I'll hardwire my laptop so I can get the info. The tech support company told me to do this while he worked on it on line. Thanks so much again. I feel confident now and don't feel the urge to through my laptop out the window. LOL

#10 frustratedred

frustratedred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:36 AM

OK, I went to: run,typed in cmd, pressed enter,and typed ipconfig /all on the black window and it all came up, but I can't find a way to copy it. The drop down menu doesn't give me the option to copy, it says paste, but not copy. How can I copy it so that I can attach it here for you guys to see?

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

The drop down menu doesn't give me the option to copy,

From the drop down menu go to Edit>>Select All >>back to Edit>> Copy should now be available as an option. Copy & paste as you normally would.

#12 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

Or you can take a screenshot.

#13 frustratedred

frustratedred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-014A50288E>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YOUR-014A50288E
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-25-3C-28-EA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:10:44 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:10:44 AM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Net
work Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-A8-BC-93-8E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.241.91
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-014A50288E>

#14 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

Ok, it looks like a standard, basic, setup.
Most likely the wireless adapter has similar settings - DHCP and DNS servers from the 192.168.1.1 router.
I doubt you need WINS enabled, but it's irrelevant to your issue.
Not sure about IP routing (did the cable company set that up?), also irrelevant.

Few other thoughts and things to check, in no particular sequence
1. Perhaps the Realtek driver is too old and needs an update
2. Check Power properties - Start, Settings, Network, right click on Realtek, Properties, Details, then in the dropdown are two or three Power related settings. There might be something like "wake from D3".
3. Someplace else, but I can't recall where, is a Radio on/off setting, as well as a Normal power save mode. It might be on some advanced tab.
4. While still connected to the router by wire - make sure that someplace in the wireless section you enable SSID broadcast and that the computer's wireless MAC address (00-C0-A8-BC-93-8E) is allowed.
5. When you disconnect the cable, try again to get the IP address by radio. Make sure you're in a close range to the router. Rebooting might help as well. If it's successful, collect ipconfig /all data as before - to see what Windows saw and post here just the wireless section.
6. If your firewall is blocking communication with 169.254.241.91, it's hard to get a new IP.
7. What you can try is, again in the cmd window:
type ipconfig /release
that should clear things and report IP of 0.0.0.0 if you do ipconfig /all again
now type ipconfig /renew
and you should get a new, non 169.x.x.x, address 192.168.1.3 or similar.

Try to pinpoint what makes it drop connection - sleep? hibernation? Some specific activity or no activity?

I can't think of anything else, and just hope that something here will lead to a solution.

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

Wouldnt hurt to check the system with MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
Now that we know that you are using another system and it works fine you can download the program there.
Then use a USB drive or burn a cd and install it on the trouble system.
Do the full scan. It could take some time. Check on it every once in a while
See if MalwareBytes finds any nasties that might be causing your issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users