Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer hanging on splash screen - please help

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LoveHateComputers

LoveHateComputers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hi all - I really hope someone can help me

On Saturday my computer started giving me problems when starting or resuming. It boots fine but when it gets to the windows 7 splash screen the log in box takes up to 20 mins to display. When it does display I can log in and the computer runs fine.

I have tried:
- virus scan which is clean
- malwarebytes comes up with nothing
- restoring to before the problem started

But, the problems remains - up to 20 mins for the log in to appear. It is almost as if it forgets to put it up.

I really hope someone has some suggestions. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

What happens if you boot to safe mode - does that happen normally? If so, try this:

In safe mode open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming process, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#4 LoveHateComputers

LoveHateComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:02 AM

Allan, thanks for your help. Safe Mode was working fine. It turned out to be Comodo Internet Security Suite. Uninstalled and everything is fine again! I wonder wy it suddenly started causing problems?

Can you recommend a free antivirus and firewall? (I liked comodo because it was all in one)

Thanks again!!!

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,613 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

Two top free av's are Avast and Avira. I don't use a third party firewall (I use Windows firewall along with my router's NAT). Anyway, glad you're all straightened out now.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

If you perform the Speccy we can tell a lot more about your system issues and why Comodo slowed your system down, so please perform the Speccy so we can better understand your systems operating environment.

#7 LoveHateComputers

LoveHateComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

If you perform the Speccy we can tell a lot more about your system issues and why Comodo slowed your system down, so please perform the Speccy so we can better understand your systems operating environment.

Here is it:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3elG10OyUy15p7cl8YQuYJx

What I don't understand is why it ran for 4+ months and then suddenly it was a problem - not even a gradual thing!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,613 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

It may not in fact have been Comodo. There are a couple of other possibilities. It's possible something you recently installed was conflicting with Comodo. It's also possible (though less likely since it only happened at the splash screen) that malware was at play.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

I am thinking that maybe it was a recent update to Windows Defender that conflicted with Comodo or vice versa. Also were you running Windows Firewall along side Comodo as well?

Also Malware can hook into many applications and services such as winlogin which is how some malware enabled with keyloggers gets login information for domains and such.

#10 LoveHateComputers

LoveHateComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

no I wasn't using windows firewall or windows defender. re malware, malwarebytes came up clean. Oh well, at least it is sorted :)

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

The Speccy you posted stated that you were using Windows Firewall and Defender and were still receiving updates for Windows Defender.

And I quote:

22/03/2011:
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.99.1684.0)
20/03/2011:
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.99.1460.0)
18/03/2011:
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.99.1460.0)
15/03/2011:
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.99.1226.0)
11/03/2011:
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.99.1034.0)

Running:
Windows Firewall

Take a look over your computer and doublecheck things before installing any anti-malware tools. If you are using Windows Firewall, then you should not be using 3rd Party Firewalls.

I also see that there is no mention of Comodo in your Speccy Report based upon the Services Running and stopped. Also I see that you are not running any active virus scanning software, and I would like to know why that is?

#12 LoveHateComputers

LoveHateComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

yup, I put them on after I uninstalled comodo so that I would be covered while choosing new antivirus. I had had the firewall off and I thought defender too (turned it off as soon as I had installed comodo when I got the puter) so no idea why it was receiving updates. Could it turn itself back on? I know that running 2 antivirus programs or two firewalls - thx for letting me know it was updating.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,613 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

START - RUN -- services.msc
Set the Windows Defender service to DISABLED

#14 LoveHateComputers

LoveHateComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:51 AM

Thanks Allan, done that now :). I had real time protection disabled but the rest of it was still running.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,613 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:49 AM

Good deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users