Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roommate's PC has trouble turning on

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Azshmo

Azshmo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:39 AM

It is definitely NOT the hard drive. I can tell based on the sound itself and where the sound is coming from (popped off the side). I realized that it is likely the same sound that occurs when the computer goes into hibernate.

When the computer is turned on, it will make the clicking noise several times in a row (4 or 5?) and doesnt start, then clicks 2-3 times every few seconds until it eventually says on the monitor that it has failed to boot.

However, sometimes it actually succeeds at starting up for no apparent reason. If it is already started up, then it can restart no problem. Yesterday it was unable to wake up out of hibernate. It works periodically and then wont work.

What would be causing this? I'm nearly positive that it's the same click you here when it goes into sleep mode/hibernate, and it probably happens every time the computer is turned on as well. I'm pretty sure every desktop I've ever owned makes a similar sound. Any other information that would be helpful?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

Here, I took a video of it. You can hear the sound clearly and after about a minute it says that it failed to boot. After a run or 2 of that, it will usually turn on successfully.

Edited by Azshmo, 23 March 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#3 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

The only other thing I could think of that has enough moving parts to make a noise like that would be the CD/DVD rom drive -- assuming you are sure it is not the hard drive.

First make absolutely sure it isn't the hard drive. Try popping the side of the case off, and getting close with your ear to pinpoint where it is coming from. Then move onto the CD/DVD rom drive, as that is the only other thing I could think of -- unless you still have a floppy drive, which is another possibility because of moving parts.

Post the results when you have them.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

It is a hard drive. Been through that too many times.

EDIT: FFWD to 4.20

Edited by dpunisher, 23 March 2011 - 09:15 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

It is a hard drive. Been through that too many times.

EDIT: FFWD to 4.20

That's what I personally think too, but I was trying to think of other possibilities since he believes it isn't the hard drive.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

Your roommate is gonna have to buy a replacement hard drive now.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

But it still turns on and functions normally, and I'm nearly positive that the noise isnt coming from the HDD, since I put my ear right next to it and it was clearly coming from higher up. I'll try to figure out whether the computer might have multiple HDDs or something like that.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:11 AM

You could do a hard drive dianogtic but first you need to find out what brand that hard drive is by publishing speccy.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:06 AM

Well, it turns out that there are 2 HDDs in her computer. One of them is probably a backup that came with it, and the main HDD must be what is making the clicking noise. If it clicks and fails to wake up from hibernate, the desktop will show but nothing is accessible because the HDD is screwing up. Thanks for the help everyone.

Now I just need to figure out whether the HDD is IDE or SATA.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

To work that out, is the cable large or is it small?
SATA
Posted Image
IDE
Posted Image

Edited by killerx525, 25 March 2011 - 02:23 AM.

>Michael 

#11 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

Well, it turns out that there are 2 HDDs in her computer. One of them is probably a backup that came with it, and the main HDD must be what is making the clicking noise. If it clicks and fails to wake up from hibernate, the desktop will show but nothing is accessible because the HDD is screwing up. Thanks for the help everyone.

Now I just need to figure out whether the HDD is IDE or SATA.

Don't just pull out the second drive yet. Find out if the other drive is mirrored or striped in RAID. If the drive is mirrored, you should be able to boot from a single drive -- since that is what a mirrored set of hard drives is intended for... backup.

If the drives are striped, you cannot just remove the second drive and expect it to run off a single drive. A striped configuration writes parts of data to both drives, and requires both drives to function, together, like a single drive. This method is useful for increasing the read and write speeds, since you can effectively double them writing half of the data to one drive, and half to the other. However, it also is risky because, if one drive dies, the other is useless as well.

If your data is striped, you will need to clone your striped drives (which show up as one drive) to a single drive to preserve it... assuming the drives are functional enough to attempt that. It would look like this: Drive 0 (Made of 2 hard disks) -> Drive 1 -- your cloning program will detect the striped set as a single drive.

Look into the configuration first and let us know how it is setup. I have not seen many HPs with a striped set -- normally Dell tends to setup drives in a stripe sometimes -- but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Edited by Suicide King, 25 March 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#12 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

Well, she managed to get it to turn on last night and backed up important folders/files.

Going into the properties --> hardware tab of the HDD, it says the model number is WDC wd3000js-60pdb0

I finally figured out where the other HDD was (the hardware layout is weird) and it's definitely a SATA cable. It's got to be SATA I since it's 4-5 years old. I guess that just leaves finding a replacement and installing it, which I can do.

Newegg doesnt have many SATA I options. SATA II drives will be backwards compatible, right? This thing is pretty old and dusty, so would 5400RPM be a better bet than 7200? I figure that a WD caviar green will be good. Sound about right?

Edited by Azshmo, 25 March 2011 - 01:21 PM.

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

Definitely a hard drive failure.
I now that sound all to well!

You can confirm by simply disconnecting the power leads from both drives. If they get no power they cant spin.
Of course, the system then will not have anything to boot from.
Thats ok though. Go into the BIOS and just stay there for a bit & listen.
If the sound is not present its definitely one of the drives.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

SATAII is backward compatible :) A 7200 rpm hard drive would be faster then a 5400 rpm hard drive. Here is a similar hard drive you could buy.

>Michael 

#15 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

any objections?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users