Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burner acting like a storage device??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:42 AM

My uncles laptop burner is acting like storage device. The icon on computer is a storage device icon. Every time he inserts a DVD movie it doesn't auto play, in windows media player you would usually see the DVD on the side but you see it as storage device icon which you can't play it. The only way to play it is by playing the .vob file on the DVD. I checked device manager and i found the burner is in the disk drive section which is really strange. Any ideas on how solving this?

Details: Toshiba Satellite Pro L500

Edited by killerx525, 22 March 2011 - 12:49 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:16 AM

First go to device manager and right click the mis-labled drive and click uninstall.

Reboot the computer.

Let me know if the drive is now listed as a DVD drive.

If not we'll have to edit a key in the Windows registry.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:53 AM

I can't tell my uncle to do those steps at the moment because his sleeping right now but can give the registry steps if the first suggestion doesn't work?

Edit: I am assuming after uninstalling the DVD drive the rebooting it will let the burner re detect and hoping it will go into the right list.

Edited by killerx525, 22 March 2011 - 07:40 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

Edit: I am assuming after uninstalling the DVD drive the rebooting it will let the burner re detect and hoping it will go into the right list.

It usually does, the reason is because the Windows operating systems use the plug and play device I.D from the device firmware, the firmware I.D. will cause windows to assign a CD or DVD icon and offer auto play options for the drive.

Not all operating systems have auto play activated by default, specially Windows XP SP3, Vista SP1 or SP2 and Windows 7 and Windows 7 SP1.

The reason the auto play feature is disabled is to prevent unauthorized cd or dvd content from running on a machine.

Instead of auto play, a window will pop up asking what you want to do with the request coming from the CD/DVD disk in question.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:00 AM

That autoplay pop up doesn't even pop up <_<

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users