Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb 2.0 Upgrade Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trimen

Trimen

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 10:31 PM

At first when I tried installing it onto the computer I just went ahead and tried it out with the add hardware wizard in the system control panel, and then it asked me for a file, I think it was usbehci.sys, I'm not sure though, I can take a look if I need to. So I found it on the internet and put it in there where it was supposed to be and tried again and now when I get it going it tells me that it isn't validated and it's not sure if it'll work with the computer but I tell it to install anyways and once I do that it says that it won't start up. This lead me to beleive that maybe my USB ports had stopped working or something, but I uninstalled it and then the USB ports worked fine again. I'm not sure how to get it working. Any help would be nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:17 PM

Have you tried different PCI slots?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Trimen

Trimen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:43 PM

The USB is built into the motherboard.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:08 PM

You will need to buy a PCI card with USB 2 ports on it to have USB2.0 capability. You cannot upgrade a USB 1 port to a USB2 port.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Trimen

Trimen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

Well the USB 2 is built into the motherboard.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:50 PM

How about some info to work with?
Do you have a motherboard manual and driver CD? If so what make and model is the motherboard? Have you installed all the drivers? How old is the system? Have you updated the motherboard drivers from the manufacturers website? What operating system and version are you running?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users