Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get rid of Freecorder Toolbar

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bleedo

Bleedo

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

I installed Freecorder and decided to uninstall it. I used the Add/Remove Programs method. Freecorder is uninstalled yet the toolbar remains. In the C:/WINDOWS folder there is a Freecorder folder with an uninstall icon. When I click on it I get an error message of invalid start up: archive filename.

How can I uninstall this toolbar?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

Hello and welcome. Try with the free version of Revo Uninstaller:

Please download the Revo Uninstaller to your desktop.

Note ---> Scroll down the page and be sure to download the "freeware" version not the "30d fully functional free trial, called Proffessional"

• Double click Revo.exe to install and run.
  • Highlight XXXX.
  • Choose Uninstall.
  • Are you sure - Yes
  • Mode - Advanced
  • Are you sure - Yes
  • Initial Uninstall - Next
  • Scanning for leftovers - Next
  • Check the bolded box only!!!! <--- Important!!
  • Delete
  • Yes
  • Finish

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Bleedo

Bleedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hi, boop.

Where exactly do I highlight XXXX?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

Once the install is done,a window opens with all the icons for installed Applications. Look thru them for Freecorder and highlight that icon.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Bleedo

Bleedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Freecorder isn't installed any longer. I uninstalled, yet the toolbar remains. That's the problem.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hi Bleedo. It looks like an incomplete removal. There's no longer an icon? Doing a search for freecorder produces any files?
If you enter freevorder in the textbar of REVO it should find any leftovers

Edited by boopme, 22 March 2011 - 08:50 PM.

#7 Bleedo

Bleedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

No icon and entering freecorder in the revo search doesn't yield any leftovers. The only thing left is the Freecorder folder in the C:/WINDOWS folder that contains an uninstall icon that gives me an "invalid start up: archive filename" error message when I try to open it.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

Uggh, my last idea.. reinstall it and then let Revo Uninstall all of it.

#9 Bleedo

Bleedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

No dice. Did that And the toolbar is STILL there. Thanks for your help. This is perplexing.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

EDIT I moved this to Am I INfected
Man, well here's what we do. It will take a couple days for them to reply but they will. We need you to post a DDS log and they will see what is stopping us. I never saw one this atubborn.

We need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip the GMER step.
Let me know if that went well.

Edited by boopme, 26 March 2011 - 01:25 PM.

#11 bluze

bluze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

I realize that it has been a long time since the original post on this matter, but I just came across it yesterday --- perhaps this will help for present and future reference.

Here’s what worked for me:

1} Perform a Start Menu Search for “Conduit Ltd” (just the word “conduit” may

work); then delete or uninstall any and all files that have “Conduit Ltd”

associated with them; then open the Programs and Features folder in your

Control Panel and uninstall the Freecorder Toolbar.

Conduit Ltd is apparently associated with the installation process for Freecorder and a number of other downloadable software applications, and it has a propensity for installing potentially harmful add-ons EVEN if you indicate that you wish to DECLINE them. I would suggest that if you’re preparing to download or install software and the word “Conduit” appears, then kill the process and search anew.

BTW, I have been using Freecorder5 and 6 for about 2 years, with no problems

(I really like the version 5 downloader), and getting rid of the Conduit Ltd file

(it was an executable titled “uninstall”) has not affected the performance of either application.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users