Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sp1 To Sp2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

I am thinking about installing Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Is this a wise choice?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:36 PM

I have upgraded several XP Pro computers with no ill effect. I would believe that there would only be benifits to an upgrade.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:09 AM

ComputerWhizz7,

The short answer as acklan has stated is it's a good thing. However with that said, there are certain things that need to be taken care of prior to the upgrade. And instead of reinventing the wheel, and going through a long arduous process of retyping something one of the other advisors has done so well previously. I will add a link here. Thanks to our own BC Advisor, Enthusiast for the information.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ndpost&p=164931

Be (SP2 Upgrade prep) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:08 AM

There can be problems with updating to SP2 if you have malicious software on your computer. You MUST be sure that you are absolutely clean from Viruses, Spyware, etc, first.

Also, I never install it from the download if at all possible, because sometimes there are issues with that method, too. Instead, order it on a disk by going HERE. Install from the disk if at all possible. I have never had one of those types of installs fail.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users