Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long start up time on laptop, possible components failure?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

I am beginning to get nervous about potential hardware degredation. I am only going on instinct. My laptop (Gateway m-151x) used to start up very quickly, and anytime it was operating, it "hummed" right along. I can't say that I could describe what it used to sound like at start up, just that it seems strangely quiet anymore, and takes much longer. After the splash screen (?) initially shows, it now is black for a long time (comparatively) before coming up with the windows logo, and then the desk top. Additionally, when I download a large file, it no longer "hums or whirs" smoothly like it used to. It seems to stutter over the process. Everything is still fully functional, as far as I can tell, but I wonder if a part is beginning to fail. If this sounds at all familiar to anyone, I'd appreciate a clue as to what may be happening, and any steps I may need to take to avoid catastrophe. I have been using it extremely hard lately, and worry that I may have overheated it. I should probably also mention that the battery is shot now, and I have been waiting for the new one to come in, so I have had to use it plugged in directly at all times.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

First thing that comes to mind is a fragmented hard drive, do you de-frag your hard drive often?

Do you have a lot of programs that start when windows boots up?

Check how many programs are resident in the system tray, some of those can slow down the boot up process.

Those are the areas I would look into first.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

The unit is set to auto-defrag once a week. I will check the start up programs, I have added a weather ap recently. I appreciate the feedback.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

One of the easiest ways to determine what is running during startup is by going to the windows search bar and typing MSCONFIG then press the ENTER key.

Check the startup tab, here you will see all the programs that are programmed to start when Windows starts up.

You can un-check a few of those to see if your computer loads Windows quicker and if the over-all performance of Windows increases.

This configuration utility does not remove the program from your computer, it merely just stops it from loading automatically when Windows starts.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users