Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delayed LAN at startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 b_iceman

b_iceman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

I have several XP Pro computers that have started taking forever to load when rebooted. The sound and anti-virus seem to load like normal, but the LAN takes several minutes. Also, if I don't log in right away at the windows login screen, it locks up and won't respong to keyboard or mouse. It has become an issue because we use alot of network applications and they aren't available until the LAN loads. I have tried disabling all of my antivirus scans and rebooting with no antivirus on machine (to rule out antivirus scans/updating to be the problem). I have performed clean boots and turning off all startup tasks. I assume this is a system service that is not loading correctly, therefore causing the system to wait for it. Is there any way to change the order of loading so that the antivirus loads, then the LAN, then everything else?

All computers are XP Pro with latest updates (except where specified)
All computers are part of WORKGROUP. (No domains)
All computers have been checked with spybot s&d, malwarebytes, and antivirus (eset nod32 or avg free)
Computers are in different buildings with different internet connections (same provider).
One computer started doing this, so I reinstalled everything, and I still have the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

When I used 3d-party firewalls and AV combos...I noticed that the network connection would be the last thing enabled upon booting. I assumed that this is a security precaution, since the system literally cannot be used until everything loads. It could be that the network drivers load last for all I know...but I've always assumed that it was a security application.

You post as if you have had dissimilar results, using the same software on the same systems all the time. At least, that's how I interpret what I read.

I've never known the LAN to be anything other than the last item enabled...it really doesn't make sense for things to occur any other way, IMO.

Since the system cannot be used until the dust clears...I don't really see the issue.

Louis

#3 b_iceman

b_iceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

When I used 3d-party firewalls and AV combos...I noticed that the network connection would be the last thing enabled upon booting. I assumed that this is a security precaution, since the system literally cannot be used until everything loads. It could be that the network drivers load last for all I know...but I've always assumed that it was a security application.

You post as if you have had dissimilar results, using the same software on the same systems all the time. At least, that's how I interpret what I read.

I've never known the LAN to be anything other than the last item enabled...it really doesn't make sense for things to occur any other way, IMO.

Since the system cannot be used until the dust clears...I don't really see the issue.

Louis

Well normally the system would load pretty quick. It still does on other machines. But now it takes minutes to load everything, sometimes up to 10. This is not normal so I would like to fix it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

Ten minutes is an indication of a real problem, IMO.

Then...IMO...you need to start looking at two things:

Event Viewer errors on each system.

The differnces in connection settings on each system involved.

If neither of those reveal anything significant...I'd have to start looking at hardware/drivers. When drivers become damaged, they don't send out bulletins until they impact a critical Windows function.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users