Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Stuck in sleep / hibernation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sargyork

sargyork

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

My PC is a selfbuilt
Op System: Win 7 64 bit
Mother Board: Asus P5Q Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Video Card: Asus ( nvidia ) ENGTS250 1G dark knight
Power Supply: Zalman 850 Watt dual heatpipe cooled
Memory: 2 sticks of OCZ 2 Gig
Harddrive: Seagate 250 G Sata

Here is my pc issue. Yesterday I was on the pc every thing appereard to be normal. I left for about 30 to 45 min, upon return I noticed the pc was what looked like it was getting ready to go into sleep/hibernation mode. I left clicked my mouse which is the way I normally would wake the pc up, nothing happened. I hit several different keys on the key board, then tried a restart, nothing worked pc returned to its state it was in.

Description of pc issue. PC CPU is running all cooling fans are running. Monitor is blank ( power button is flashing like it is in stand by) Keyboard has no power I am not sure if mouse has power. DVD drive will work but will not spin up with a disk in. Upon pc restart there is no system beep, monitor does not do a splash screen just stays blank. So I cannot get into BIOS.

What I have tried already:

Tried to boot pc from OP System disc

Swapped monitor & keyboard with wifes pc they will work fine on hers.

Removed video card and reseat ( also swaped with a spare 9800 GTOC card )

Removed all hardware ie* video card, lan card, memory, disconected DVD Drive & Hard Drive from Mo Board. Then did a restart still no system beep Reinstalled all hardware and did a restart pc returned to present issue.

The pc to me appears to be in some sort of sleep / Hibernation mode and will not wake up.

I hope some one may be able to help me with this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I suggest you try booting up the computer and if you have any display at all at this point, try hitting the key board key mentioned to enter SETUP.

If you are able to see the BIOS screen, please choose the following options.

Load fail-safe defaults.

Load setup defaults.

Save those changes and reboot.

If there is NO video display, you may need to reset the BIOS by using the CLR_CMOS jumper on your motherboard, this will clear the BIOS of any settings previously set by you or your operating system, before you move this jumper over, you need to remove your CMOS battery first, make sure you observe the way the battery goes back into the battery holder.

Let the computer sit for 5 minutes, return the CLR_CMOS jumper back to its default position, return the battery back to its holder.

Boot up the system, if you have display, please enter BIOS setup utility, correct the time and date, choose load setup defaults, press F10 to save changes and exit.

System should reboot if everything is Okay.

If this fails, please post back, I will offer the next procedure to try.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 sargyork

sargyork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for your responce

I would like to make sure that I am looking at the same thing on my Asus P5Q Pro Mo Board that you are having me do. I do not have video display so I am going to have to move the jumper in the manuel it mentions a Real Time Clock ( RTC ) RAM in CMOS giving me very much the same instructions you have given with one exception. It states to move the pin to reset BIOS for 5 to 10 sec ( but keep the battery in ) then move it back. Power up the pc and reset BIOS data. 2nd if that reset does not work then remove the battery and move pin to clear the CMOS RTC RAM and so on.

You are wanting me go right to the 2nd step and remove the battery move the pin wait 5 min move pin back then put the battery back in the start the pc up then reset BIOS. I am thinking that this the correct spot but just wnat to double check.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

2nd if that reset does not work then remove the battery and move pin to clear the CMOS RTC RAM and so on.

You are wanting me go right to the 2nd step and remove the battery move the pin wait 5 min move pin back then put the battery back in the start the pc up then reset BIOS. I am thinking that this the correct spot but just wnat to double check.

That is correct, sometimes it is better to allow enough time for all capacitors to discharge, that is what the jumper does, it safely shorts everything to chassis ground and discharges the capacitors.

It can also short out the battery as well, that is why I suggest removing it.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 sargyork

sargyork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

I have done what you said to do, no luck. Still the same thing PC turns on but nothing eles no keyboard or video display

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

I see where you stated that there was no BIOS beep error codes.

You should try disconnecting the power supply harness wires from the motherboard and re-connect them, perhaps yours is either loose, or oxidation is causing some issues.

Have you checked the motherboard for possible electrolytic capacitor failure.

Pay special close attention to the capacitors that are close to the Processor and RAM slots, those are usually the ones that fail the most.

Here are some links that will help you determine this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/

Bruce.

#7 sargyork

sargyork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

I have been afraid the Mo Board might be out, but was hopping somebody might have a suggestion. I had alreay unplugged power to the board, I cannot tell on the little capasitors if they are bad. I guess it is time to save my pennys and get a new Mo Board and up grade to a quad processor

Thank you for your help

Edited by sargyork, 21 March 2011 - 08:54 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

I have been afraid the Mo Board might be out, but was hopping somebody might have a suggestion. I had alreay unplugged power to the board, I cannot tell on the little capasitors if they are bad. I guess it is time to save my pennys and get a new Mo Board and up grade to a quad processor

Thank you for your help

You're welcome and good luck with your search for a new motherboard. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users