Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2000 will not open word documents

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 R1200RT

R1200RT

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

My 2000 MS Word stopped opening the documents I have on file. The error message : "There was a problem sending the command to the program" keeps coming up after the document tries to open. I can create and save documents, but then cannot open them to view the content. This started after the removal of roaming defender spyware by SpyHunter software. I don't have any files blocked by SpyHunter and still have the issue with Word with SpyHunter deactivated.I am wondering if a file got removed in the spyware clean up and removal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R1200RT

R1200RT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Does anybody have any ideas on this problem. I really need to be able to get my documents to open. Re-install of office doesn't help. I am not sure if I am allowed to post to my own topic, if not, I apologize. Thank you to anyone who has any ideas.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

I don't have an answer for you regarding the MS Word fix. But if it's the documents you need, have you tried? http://www.libreoffice.org/

Which is the non Oracle version of http://www.openoffice.org/

Both free alternatives to MS Office. Which should be able to access your documents if they are intact.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

Only thing I can think of is to delete the normal.dot file.
Word will recreate it when started

The file is located at C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.

Worth a try
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

Are you trying to open documents from within Word (after it's open) or by double-clicking on a doc file?

#6 R1200RT

R1200RT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

I have a lot of word documents that I need to use from time to time, they are saved in a document file and I am trying to open them by double clicking on the file. The document looks like it opens, but there are no words in the document and when I close it, the error message is there that there was a problem sending the command to the program.

#7 R1200RT

R1200RT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

I don't have an answer for you regarding the MS Word fix. But if it's the documents you need, have you tried? http://www.libreoffice.org/

Which is the non Oracle version of http://www.openoffice.org/

Both free alternatives to MS Office. Which should be able to access your documents if they are intact.

That looks interesting, is there a big difference between the libreoffice and the openoffice? Thanks for the help.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

Open Office has Oracle corporation involved in their business. Libre Office does not. Functionally to the best of my knowledge they are pretty much the same product. Both cost the same $00.00.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 ITstudent2006

ITstudent2006

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

Follow the steps and check if that helps:

1. Go to the location C:\Program File\Microsoft Office\Office 12\winword.exe
NOTE (Office 12 maybe Office 10 for you)

2. Right click on winword.exe and click on Properties and then click on Compatibility tab. Check if you have any check mark in any of the compatibility mode options. Make sure you also click on the option "change settings for all users" tab at the bottom of the same screen and look for similar check boxes in the window.

3. Uncheck the option Run as Administrator option is you have it checked.

4. If you see any check boxes in the compatibility mode options, uncheck all the boxes and click on Apply and OK.

5. Try to open the Word docs now.

Without knowing your OS, this is a general idea and general file locations. If you're using a 64-bit machine the location will vary.

Please clarify as to what OS you are using and whether its 32 or 64-bit.

Edited by ITstudent2006, 23 March 2011 - 11:47 PM.

~si vis pacem para bellum~

#10 R1200RT

R1200RT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

I am using windows 7, 64 bit.

Thanks

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:59 AM

I have a lot of word documents that I need to use from time to time, they are saved in a document file and I am trying to open them by double clicking on the file. The document looks like it opens, but there are no words in the document and when I close it, the error message is there that there was a problem sending the command to the program.

What happens if you try to open the documents from within Word?

#12 R1200RT

R1200RT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:23 AM

Follow the steps and check if that helps:

1. Go to the location C:\Program File\Microsoft Office\Office 12\winword.exe
NOTE (Office 12 maybe Office 10 for you)

2. Right click on winword.exe and click on Properties and then click on Compatibility tab. Check if you have any check mark in any of the compatibility mode options. Make sure you also click on the option "change settings for all users" tab at the bottom of the same screen and look for similar check boxes in the window.

3. Uncheck the option Run as Administrator option is you have it checked.

4. If you see any check boxes in the compatibility mode options, uncheck all the boxes and click on Apply and OK.

5. Try to open the Word docs now.

Without knowing your OS, this is a general idea and general file locations. If you're using a 64-bit machine the location will vary.

Please clarify as to what OS you are using and whether its 32 or 64-bit.

Thank you so much, that worked and I am now able to get back to work. Great help from everyone, awesome site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users