Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I removed a virus and lost all settings, email and browser.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 the-snickity-1

the-snickity-1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

I removed a virus from XP and all my desktop settings were changed, when I opened firefox, my bookmarks were gone and my thunderbird mail account was also gone. Now I can't open firefox at all.

I'm not sure I remember exactly how I removed the virus, I was trying everything, but I was dinking around in the registry, and may have deleted one of the "has no value" settings.

I have tried system restore, several times, but the restoration is incomplete. I tried a system restore in safe mode - still incomplete.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

Well...your assumption that your system is not infected now...is questionable, IMO. (FWIW: I hardly ever believe members when they state that they have properly removed malware on their own...when the system still malperforms.)

a. If the system is infected, then the priority must be attempted removal of malware...via the Am I Infected forum.

b. If the system is truly clean...and you have a MS Windows CD...I would suggest a repair install effort.

c. If you don't have a MS Genuine XP CD...then your options are limited and determined by the manufacturer of your system. These options might include restore-to-factory default disk/partitions procedures determined by the manufacturer.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users