Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8 will not open

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 tonyneedshelp

tonyneedshelp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

I am having an issue with Internet Explorer (Firefox etc work fine). Whenever I click on to open it, it pretty much does nothing (get hourglass, but no window) or it will open up and then close right away. I do get an error report (sometimes) that pops up with this. I need to fix this for certain applications that I use. I have tried uninstalling/re-installing with no success. I also downloaded a registry fix program, but when I try running that, I get a similar error report and it closes it up the instant it finishes scanning. I can run a hijackthis report if that will help or do whatever needs to be done to help someone solve my issue.

In the event viewer, I get this error:

Date: 3/17/2011 Source: McLogEvent
Time: 11:40:42 AM Category: None
Type: Information Event ID: 257
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Description:
Would be blocked by access protection rule (rule is in warn-only mode) (Common Standard Protection:Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder).

In looking through the Event Viewer, I came across this (next paragraph)....through reading it and my limited knowledge about this stuff, it sounds like my registry has been locked by something??? Is there a way to "unlock" it or anything like that???

Windows saved user XXXXXXX (just my id so I xxx'ed it out) registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

This is what Microsoft says about it:

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1517
Source: Userenv
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_HIVE_SAVED
Message: Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Explanation
Windows unloads each user's profile and user's section of the registry when the user logs off. This message indicates that Windows could not unload the user's profile because a program was referencing the user's section of the registry. This locked the profile. The registry cannot unload profiles that are locked and in use. When the program that is locking the profile is no longer referencing the registry, the profile will be unloaded.
I am using Windows NT Professional, SP2, IE8.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

This is your third post on the same topic. Why do you keep starting new threads?

#3 tonyneedshelp

tonyneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

I put it in the wrong area before and when I went to check it out, it gave me an error so I assumed it was gone...which it is. I only have 2 posts on this topic now. I was hoping that maybe someone else may take a look at new threads and have some input since you were unwilling/unable to help me any more.

I did not realize that there was a limit of asking something only 1 time whether your problem gets solved or not...guess I should read the rules closer next time.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

Your original topic is still open. The second duplicate topic which gives you the error is deleted. I will close this one and link you to the original topic. Please continue there to avoid confusing members possibly posting conflicting help. As well as confusing yourself following multiple threads for one issue.

Forum etiquette dictates, one issue one thread.

Original topic is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic385526.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users