Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who are Bleeping Computers?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 revoli

revoli

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

I am intrigued - just who are bleeping computers? Where do all the helpers come from who are assisting us solve our problems? are they just enthusiasts lending a hand to us mere mortals? If so who runs the site and how does it pay for itself. I find the help and attitude on forums here and elsewhere amazing, enabling me to get help and assistance on an incredible array of things that otherwise I would not have a hope of doing.

The power of the internet to bring people together is simply awesome and I think in terms of historical importance it will rank close to the invention of the wheel. Look at how it has effected China. Would peoples be rising against dictatorial regimes or poor governments without it?

I recently built a hi fi component - a tube based DAC that is simply incredible. I had a guy in China, a bloke from Poland, an Italian or two and a host of others from other continents all helping me as a result of another forum.

So where do the Bleeping Computer heroes come from?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

Most of your answers are here: Bleeping Computer Membership Descriptions A brief overview of each group

As for paying for itself. The site owner has managed to make that work, with the least amount of intrusion to registered members.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

Where do all the helpers come from who are assisting us solve our problems?

The Diversity Of Bleeping Computer's Member's Nationalities
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:23 AM

Bleeping Computer was founded by Grinler (AKA Lawrence Abrams, call him Larry: he loves that) way back in 2004. His motivation for doing so are unknown to me, but I think it had something to do with the Brazilian Mafia and box of dehydrated cheese (long story, ask Grinler.)

As for where the "heroes" come from, that's easier to answer: most of the helpers here started out by asking for help from earlier helpers. They stayed on after they got their help and started helping others. Motivations for staying vary widely from person to person; some enjoy interacting with people on the forum, others enjoy a good technical challenge, and others hear wild stories about the all night keggers in the staff break room and want an invitation. Whatever their motivation, anyone is free to participate at BC to any extent they please with the proviso that they remain civil, don't give intentionally bad advice ("delete the C:\Windows folder, that'll clear that infection right up!") and abide by the rules.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

("delete the C:\Windows folder, that'll clear that infection right up!")

:hysterical:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

....others hear wild stories about the all night keggers in the staff break room

Sounds good to me. How does one go about qualifying?

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

call him Larry: he loves that

No thanks, I'll take my chances callin' you Andy first. :hysterical:

Those wild all night keggers are usually reserved for the MRT staff though (and those boys/girls earn it!)

We IRC people tend to drink more coffee then beer anyways!

Edited by BlackSpyder, 23 March 2011 - 09:18 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

One member is stranded here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navassa_Island

#9 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

We IRC people tend to drink more coffee then beer anyways!

Better coffee than Alcohol, say I always.
From drink to much Alcohol, people's brain will be weak!
When you will work with Computers, than is it necessary that you keep your brain clean.
Under Bleeping Computer members, are a lot smart members, that do I know sure.

#10 revoli

revoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:01 AM

One member is stranded here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navassa_Island

Wow, wonder how fast his broadband is.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:57 AM

Speed= -0.0000000000000000001 :busy:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users