Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have to upgrade ethernet or use wireless usb adapter for Win 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Last detail to troubleshoot from previous post of upgrading RAM to run windows 7 (prev. xp).
The ethernet connecter (and the audio) didn't have supporting drivers. I will need to use a wireless adapter (wi-fi already in the house) or get a pci card to add an ethernet connector for my cable connection (as well as the sound). I was reading about the usb connectors, and a good number of reviews mentioned problems with overheating (at least in the lower price points). I was wondering if anyone has advice pertaining to this. (going to higher price points begs the question of just installing a new card)
I have never added anything other than the RAM, which I knew was plug and play, so if I go the card route, do I need to concern myself with compatability other than with the OS?

The following is the specs on the model from the manufacturer.

My link

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

Generally an ethernet connection will be more stable with a higher potential bandwidth if you're sending large files across a home network, wifi can have issues with interference and signal strength. If you can, go with ethernet. According to the HP link, you have three slots open for PCI cards, so you could get PCI cards if you haven't added anything to them. Here are suggestions for PCI cards:

Rosewill RC-400 - Fully compatible with Windows 7. It should be plug and play. It also comes with a low-profile bracket if you have a slimline case.

D-Link DWA-525 IEEE 802.11g/n PCI Wireless Adapter - Again, it is compatible with Windows 7 and comes with a low-profile bracket.

LINKSYS USB300M - If you need a wired USB card, this will work, but it does not offer the same speeds as the card above.

TP-LINK TL-WN722N - USB wireless cards often don't have the same power as their PCI counterparts, but they will get the job done.

3939.png

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:07 AM

That D-Link card is really good when i used it :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

Personally, I prefer to use a hard wired connection over wireless any day. Some times, you just have no choice but to go wireless, other times, an Ethernet cable and a powerline adapter will work better, unless you really need gigabit ethernet.

3939.png

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

My dads laptop has the choice of wireless or wired connection but he prefers wireless because the wired connection blocks the path way.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

My dads laptop has the choice of wireless or wired connection but he prefers wireless because the wired connection blocks the path way.

I prefer wired. Just get a powerline adapter and plug in anywhere in the house/apartment. I had to do that because my wireless NIC in my PC was having signal issues. I decided to solve that problem and the one surrounding the crappy wifi antenna in the PS3 by just connecting both to a Western Digital WD Livewire kit.

3939.png

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

The thing is my wireless router is 1m away from my dad's laptop and he says the speed is good for browsing the internet and my mum says it's pretty fast at streaming online videos for her.

>Michael 

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:21 AM

The thing is my wireless router is 1m away from my dad's laptop and he says the speed is good for browsing the internet and my mum says it's pretty fast at streaming online videos for her.

That makes sense, my issue was probably a combination of factors. The card in the PC was always a bit wonky and it finally died, the PS3 has a crappy wifi antenna. The router was located less than ten feet away from both devices through a single wall.

3939.png

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:15 AM

Also by having a quality LAN cable it makes a difference, the one i got is Ritmo pre-made LAN cable which cost a bit more then other LAN cables.

>Michael 

#10 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

Well, I went ahead and ordered the recommended Rosewill product. Once that and the sound card come in, I should be good to go. Thanks for the advice everyone.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

Also by having a quality LAN cable it makes a difference, the one i got is Ritmo pre-made LAN cable which cost a bit more then other LAN cables.

LAN cables are a lot like HDMI cables, with short runs, quality doesn't really matter. Once you start with longer runs, quality and going with CAT 6 does become a bit more of an issue.

Barefoot: Which sound card did you decide to go with?

3939.png

#12 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

Parts came in today, and I have them both in the motherboard. The LAN connection came up right away, and the driver detected automatically. Not as good with the sound. The instructions did say that if the old device was not removed or disabled, it may not function properly. The driver disk does not auto install. There appear to be at least 15 versions on the disk. If I am going to disable the old device, I will need to figure out how to do it (since it is on the motherboard. Well, I'll be blunt, ...someone will probably have to spell it out. I did look over the schematic for the motherboard as it is shown on the hp website. It didn't enlighten me at all. I'm going to ask the professor on Tuesday, but if anyone has easy steps to take, as always, I would love to have the pointers.
Thanks again!!

motherboard link-

My link

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

Go to device manager by right clicking on computer then manage>device manager> Network Adapters. Take a screenshot of the device manager with the network adapters expanded.

>Michael 

#14 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

Figured it out while trying to follow your instructions (shocking!). Oddly enough, I do not have the option of network adapters under device manager (or anywhere in the OS, I searched on the start menu, and nothing), I had run into this before while in chat with microsort tech support, but attributed it to the software not yet being installed correctly. Now, it seems that everything is cleared up, I have no alerts on my taskbar, and I have been able to complete any task I have asked of the system.
I am wondering if I am not supposed to have network adapters as an option?
Well, anyway, many thanks!!!

ETA the shocking comment was directed towards my figuring it out, not your instructions.

Edited by Barefoot2, 26 March 2011 - 01:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users